Early Cats on Mcmaster Lake- Snake Den

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by bigmac782, Apr 2, 2008.

1. bigmac782

bigmac782 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just started fishing this lake on a regular basis last year and had pretty good luck starting late may. Several channels from 1 1/2 up to 4 lbs. All on stinkbait. Tried just about everything for bait but only on the dipbait did I catch anything. I want to try to catch some cats earlier this year but am not sure what to use for bait. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    try some live bait, big minnows, shad if you can get them, and not just live, I would try liver, crawlers, if you have a bait shop around alot of times they will just give you the dead from the tanks. AND WELCOME !!!

3. bigmac782

bigmac782 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Four or five years ago I was fishing early in the year for crappies with minnows and started catching catfish. Water was high and kinda murky, about two days after a good rain. Fishing around brush in about 5-6 feet of water. Once I started catching cats could barely get the pole back in the water. Had never really tried minnows for cats before, always cutbait and dipbait. With that in mind I really thought it to be a fluke. Heck when I was cleaning one of them it had a shiner in its gut as big as my hand. I live just outside of Galesburg, west central Illinois. Always looking for a good catfishing spot nearby and anyone that wants to fish for them. Thank you for the welcome.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Its not surprising at all really, usually when we are crappie fishing and a spot stops and then you catch a cat, you may as well move on to another crappie hole as they will get run out by the cats, altho it sure is a lot of fun catching them cats on the UL equipment :wink:

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Never fished way up to the northern part of the state. I would be no help in directing you up there for fishing holes and lakes.

6. bigmac782

bigmac782 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was down state fishin last year at Rend for the first time, late June to be precise. Could not have asked for a better day of fishin, beer, and sun. My buddy and I spent from 10am to 11pm doing nothing but reelin in one cat after another. Nothing more than about 3lbs but it was a helluva lot of fun. Oh yeah, and one nasty sunburn.

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    many say its the best catfishin lake in the state. i havent tried much else, so i cant be a judge.

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Shoot Steve.. should come down for the Rend Lake gathering this year. It is end of June. June 21st to be exact. Check out the BOC Member Gathering forum at the bottom fo the main page.

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC from Kentucky

10. bigmac782

bigmac782 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I will have to keep that in mind, just might work out for me. :big_smile:

11. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I'm happy you had a good time at Rend Steve, that is the lake I fish most and have had many days like you described. The end of June is spawn time at Rend. That is the only time I release ( females fat with eggs), Cats over 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. I consider food.

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    the end of april is when i see the larger channels move in to the coves on rend. seems like they get bigger with every catch.