Early Catfishing!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Sparky Larson, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    OK, all you Michigander, who has been out there trying to round up a few early Cats.
    Yesterday I packaged up over 40 bags of bait and I'm ready. Has anyone been out yet, or I'm I just wishful thinking.
    Sparky

2. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    I'm going tomorrow and Tuesday Sparky. I'll let ya' know how I do.

3. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    I went out all last week, but in alabama on the Tennesssee River.
    we got a fair amount of channels 4-8lbs and one nice flattie that wieghed near 15lbs.

when is the 1st get together going to take shape?????

hope all is well with everyone.

jim (steve)

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Steve, I mean Jim, Sounds like you had a pretty good fishing trip down South. Good for you! It's still a little early here I think. The suckers are up, but the cats need another week or two. As far as the first outting is concerned, maybe we better hear from the boys on the westside of the state. Good to hear from you.
    Sparky

5. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Guys, the water in the river is still just too dang cold.
    Just a few days ago, there were still big snow piles where the plows pushed it out of the streets & parking lots. We've had several warm sunny days, but now there's SNOW in the forecast again for April 4,5,&6!
    River is still pretty high & muddy, too.
    I'm thinking about a month yet before there's any real chance at cats in the Grand River. Maybe the weekend of May 5? I'll be out that weekend rain or shine.
    We could fish earlier than that, but time would probably be better spent trout or panfishing, or maybe lake fishing for channels...

6. Angler Management

Angler Management New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hey Tony, what's the water temp over by you? I'm not sure if it's warmer here near lansing but the steelhead are spawning like crazy around here. River's still high and muddy but eggs have been lose for about two weeks now. Some Grand River tribs are at about 42-46 degrees.

Sounds like you guys might be a shade cooler. What temps are you looking for before the cats get active? Keep me posted. Don't forget, I still need some good flat picts at some point. O.K., so I want another streamside dinner from you and Sal, but I'll tell the wife I'm out fishin'. I can still taste that jambalaya... oops, sorry, just drooled on the keyboard.

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    A.M.:
    A week ago Saturday it was 39 degrees, and my electronics have a history of giving readings a little bit high.
    You gotta remember, the water running through Grand Rapids was a snow pile at a K-Mart in Lansing a few days ago. We just got another inch of rain, which will help with the temps but hurt with the volume & current.
    Sadly, it will be about a month before there's any decent river fishing for flatheads. Studies show that 50 degrees is the magic number. Before & after 50 degree water, we flatheaders are better off sharpening hooks and repacking the bearings.
    The steelheaders have been slaying them here, too.
    In fact, if you enjoy standing on tenuous footing in freezing water up to your elbows next to a roaring dam elbow to elbow with a few hundred people in an effort to catch finicky fish with equipment better suited to panfishing- then you can have a lot of fun right now.
    I got your back on the photos, and the "shore lunch". Catfish stir fry, with julienned peppers & white rice. Outstanding.
    Tony

8. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I've been anxiously waiting for the river to return to a fishable level also. I need some of my bait collecting streams to go down too so I can catch bait. There should be some decent channel cat fishing as soon as the water goes down just a tad.April is usually my best month for #'s of channel cats averaging 6-10 lbs. Last year I caught my 1st flathead of the year on April 18th at 12:50 in the afternoon. You never can tell when things are about to get going. You just have to be out ther trying and then run into them. I've been hiting the steelhead hard since early March since the cats are going yet. Mostly on the Muskegon river. Walking spawn and plugging with Hot n Tots has been the ticket for me. Wrapping that up now and shifting gears toward the wiskered one. Just got my new bait traps delivered to the house this weekend. I ordered a couple from Catchnbait. Can't wait to get them in the water.

A couple pics of some steelhead

Dan

Attached Files:

9. got one

got one New Member

State:
    michigan
    before this last cold front me and my dad was getting quite a few channels in the st. joe. ranging from 2-9 lbs. we were getting them on cut/whole gobies and crawlers.

10. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Dan, those are some nice looking steelies.
    We have to hook up sometime this summer and do battle with a Flattie!
    Sparky

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Welcome to the BOC and thanks for the report!
    Keep us up to date on the St Joe, because several of us want to give it a try once the flatheads start hitting.
    Tony

12. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    That's sounds like a plan Sparky. I'd love to see you hook up with a big flattie this Summer. We'll make some plans later. Good luck in the turkey woods. I'll be out on the 23rd doing the same. That's the only day I'm going to be able to hunt.

Dan