Early catfishing in Ohio

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ranman92, Mar 31, 2008.

1. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I am on the Neocats circuit and I am wondering why last October at Spencer Lake teams combined to catch over 200 lbs of channels. And then last weekend many of the same teams show up and only 2 cats were caught in an entire 6 hour tourney. I know people are having success in central and southern ohio but in northern ohio the catfishing is very tough this time of year. I know the same amount of cats that were there in October are still there in March I just can't understand why they are so much harder to catch. My team caught 20 lbs of cat the first night of our tourney in October but we couldn't catch anything in march. I'm wondering if any1 has some suggestions on how to catch the fish early cuz I can catch them in May but I can never catch anything in March or April Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The water in October is alot warmer than what it is now, March can bring some of the coldest water temps of the year....I used to fish in March, not anymore..I wait untill mid april now it's just not worth it for me to fish sooner...The fish are just starting to come out of the winter habits in March, where as in October they are putting on the feed bag for winter.

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i get out some this time of year,but don't get too into it.gonna take some vacation time about the middle of this month and hit the shallows for channels.they will be up there feeding on the shad.well,that is if god is willing and lets the lakes return to normal.................................:confused2:

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    This time of year will make a fisherman out of you. Depending on weather patterns they may be schooled up biting with minimal movement and just taps, or they may, if the water warms be chasing bait in the shallows. If NOBODY is catching them, they are still in a wintering spot or worse, in a transitional patern. Look for "lanes" and perfect your drifting techniques.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    All good advice, just curious though, what body of water are you fishing? I personally dont catch anything this time of year unless I am on the river, on the river we catch blues and channels, and the occasional flathead all winter long, but on the lakes its a different story. We went to a lake Sunday and not even a nibble, still wonder why that is??? Depserate times call for desperate measures when the river is up...:smile2:

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:cool2:

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they are no doubt "spring feeding" in a different part of the lake than they were in the fall. spring usually draws them to incomming creeks and shallow areas where the warm south/southwest winds blow. on sunny days they will be in the shallows, and if it turns cooler, cloudy, or a front comes through try finding nearby deeper water.

8. jigghead1

jigghead1 New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Sometime I wait to see alot of bait fish start coming up by the bank, then other fish will follow.

9. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I wondered what kind of lanes you were talking about. In the 8 hours of fishing I didn't drift fish one time I thought about it though. It was only about 30 degrees so I figured the less the boat moves the better LOL!!!! But I definitely would have done it if I thought I would have caught a fish drifting. It's just at Spencer you get alot of dnags there is alot of structure on the bottom especially on the dam side wjich is where we were fishing and where the 6 pounder that won the tourney was caught. I appreciate everyone's advice I used to never fish until late May and early June but we joined a tournament series and started fishing earlier. And last year I still didn't fish well on the tourney trail until June but some of the guiys were killing them in the early tourneys last year and I was just wondering if any1 knew of a change of technique I should try. I know the cats aren't very active now I just wonder how some people are catching them cuz I never do early in the year. I appreciate and read everyone's comments the BOC RULES!!!!!!!!

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    A lane is a high percentage area. If you are fishing a spot and not getting bit, they ar either not there or not active. Catfish school to winter. In a river, when they leave the wintering area, they head upstream to a dam, it's instinctual. In a lake they head to the food table or shallow bays to eat winter kill shad. Winter doesn't end on a specific day so fish may begin to move, then go back or be somewhere in between. The lane is the highway to the spring spot from the wintering spot.

Drifting is the catfisherman's method of trolling. You cover a much larger area and when you pick up a fish study the area or anchor etc...

I'd rather snag and catch, than sit, freeze and not catch.

Good Luck,

Shawn(OH)

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    RANDY, the best advice I can give, is to find inflowing water (channels will move towards current in the spring, cause food is coming downstream) Next is to fish along the banks of those creeks or river channels. I caught channels back in feb. two feet off the flooded river bank a half mile up from the lake. Another thing is to look for windblown banks, the wind will push small shad against those banks an make them easy targets. Lastly, if you aren't getting hits in 10 to 15 minutes just move. Cold water channels won't waste time getting to your bait if they are there.
    They are hungry this time of year. fish shallow and move often.

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Randy,
    I could offer my advice, but it's kinda pointless since it didn't help me catch a fish either. I always downsize my bait in early spring. I use smaller pieces of bait. I was fishing what I thought was a prime spot.Shallow water with access to a god deep hole and on the windward side. I tried cut shad, fresh bluegill, chicken liver, and green label herring with only one bite. Should have brought the nightcrawlers out.

13. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc good tips in boc lib

14. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice blue good job:cool2:

15. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    actually jeff I did try crawlers because last year the big fish I caugh in April and May I caught every1 with a live worm. Problem this time was the worms I bought were half dead which really pi--ed me off. Another question I go the homepage and can't find the BOC library can some1 tell me how to get there on this site. ThanKS!!!!!!!!!!

16. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The water colder and temperatured dropping has the water, cold at the lakes.

17. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Well Randy .... you just never know ... last week the channels were biting on shad and chicken livers in this one place at Buckeye Lake .... so today ... I went to the exact same spot they were catching them armed with chicken liver, shad, crawlers, and shrimp. TODAY ... the only thing biting was white bass and strippers .... AND ... on minnows ... nothing else .... Go Figure .... Garry-:confused2:

18. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Randy,
    If you go to the home page and look in the "Catfish Publications" section, you will find the library link.

19. Mr. Whisker77

Mr. Whisker77 New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    anyone fishing griggs? jw

20. JKeeney20

JKeeney20 New Member

State:
    Lucasville, Ohio
    I've been doing really well in a lake in my area that resembles spencer. I been finding flats and than using my deepfinder to search the flat untill I can find something different about it (most fish are coming when I can find a small drop of 1-2ft that comes back up, etc...) this doesn't go into deeper water, but is located on the flat itself...a small hole, few logs, rock pile etc....most all fish have been coming in about 3ft of water. Caught one channel Sat that went right at 13lbs, most are around 3-5 though....Cut shad at this time, because all the channels are still coming to the flats to feed on that winter kill shad thats rolling around. But like you said you are farther north than me, so who knows!