Early catfish spawn?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bigmagic, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I was wondering what effect this early heat wave will have on the catfish. Will they spawn early if the lake temps rise enough?(Blues spawn at 70-75). I think we may be in for an odd year. Seems like spring just bypassed us again. Any thoughts?

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'm starting to think the same thing here. The river temp here in kansas city is 60 at least it was on Wed.. A friend of mine was telling me he has already seen a bass on the bed in a small lake. I guess the sooner the spawn is over the quicker the summer bite will start. No more waiting for June to be over.

3. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Normally I wouldn't be concerned about a few days of hot weather but with the water so low here on LOZ it could trigger an early spawn. In the more southern climates Blues spawn almost a month before they do here. I worry they may have some kind of false spawn or incomplete spawn and effect fishing in the future. This weather is getting crazier every year?

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    What worries me is what will happen if the blues start to spawn on LOZ with the water level this low, and then Ameren decides to raise it back up to normal pool.

I can't imagine it's going to be much longer before they start raising it -- we're not far from the boating season, and I'll bet those dock owners are starting to get antsy.

Truman is a foot above normal pool today; if they'd close the gates at Bagnell and open them at Truman, LOZ would come up in no time at all. Plus, if they kept the gates at Truman open for several days, it ought to make for some great catfishing!

You know what's interesting, though, is that today the Corps actually seems to work with the MDC to maintain the levels in the most beneficial way for the fishery -- 20 years ago, I think the Corps opened and closed the gates as they pleased, doing nothing more than coordinating with the folks at Bagnell when a big release was coming.

5. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What worries me is Truman should be a couple feet above pool right now and LOZ should be halfway back to normal pool.In order to get LOZ back up 6 feet to normal it's going to take quite a draw from Truman and it just doesn't have the water coming into it right now.I know they will bring LOZ back up to normal although they might be a little late this year but when they do what will Truman look like by the end of May without some rain.I hope I'm worried for nothing but it just aint looking good.

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I think your right Ron...it will probably speed it up by a week or two...the temps are suppose to go back down next week but nothin thats gonna lower the water temps. As far as lake levels..I sure am curious to see how they handle this if we don't start getting a lot of rain.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    As far as the spawn goes. If they do start spawning with the water so low at least the eggs are in the water if they do raise it. I have seen in other waters the spawn start to take place with high water only to have the water go back down and leave them high and dry. It's a fine line.

8. TrippleD

TrippleD New Member

State:
    ohio
    yea, this is going to be an interesting season. the weathers bin all mest up.

9. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    What I worry about is not the eggs being dry but underdeveloped or a false spawn so to speak. We caught some large fish tonight that were full of eggs(I think) and we released them. The largest one is already showing the effects of a spawning fish(battle scars etc.) I am not a biologist but the timing is off. I hope it doesn't affect all the spawners. The thing is like Ken mentioned with the water so low the water warms quickly and its not going to cool back down. I will definately be watching closely this year.

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Hey!...A big welcome to BOC Mike!:) You have just joined the best darn catfishin' forum on the net bud!;)

11. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Hopefully the spawn will hold off another two weeks,I have been comparing several weather forecast for may ,they say it is going to be a wet one above average rain fall,hopefully they are right .