EARLY ACORNS -anyone notice?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by team salmon, Oct 20, 2009.

1. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Haven't been out much yet this year however here in Kansas I did notice that a vast majority of the acorns are already off the trees - typicaly mid october you about have to wear a hard hat to keep from getting knocked out by the amounts falling - for some reason this year the big white oaks are empty and the only thing left on the ground are the caps - anyone else notice the early mast this year? I don't know if it's due to the cool and wet weather or what - anyone who has any knowledge of the subject it would be nice to know what happened. The only areas I have hunting so far are along some field edges so I am still hoping that some of the trees down in the timber still are dropping - it's about time to make the surge to the ridge tops and bottoms to ambush those bucks - Nov. is soon aproaching:wink:

2. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Here in Louisiana about a month ago I went walking through a neighborhood, & couldn't believe the acorns all over the road & sidewalk! I mean, I was actually "crunching" them with nearly every step. I'm not sure what type, but there were alot of them, both green & already brown! And we have had a very rainy cool summer this year.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    ", & couldn't believe the acorns all over the road & sidewalk!"

Send me a truck load!
    We have had a failure of the crop here abouts.

Gonna be a tough winter for the critters.:sad2:

4. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Oh man, Lawrence, I hate to hear that. Today I was walking around the hospital parking lot where I work, & there were actually some young trees that had dropped acorns.
    I hate to think of critters having a rough winter.
    Y'all hang in there; good luck & good hunting.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Here in south west Mo. the acorns are spotty. Some places have tons and other places have hardly any. Walnuts are the same way, 1 tree loaded and the tree next to it don't have hardly any. Little agriculture here except pasture land and i worry about the turkey in bad years.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I got a ton of them in the driveway, actually have to shop vac the edges where they pile up in the yard sometimes. We had no acorns at all last year, and I learned that they were a 2 year crop. A late freeze in spring 2007 meant almost no acorns in the fall of 2008 for most of the area.

7. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    I have a bunch of acorns on the ground this year also, the deer are hitting them hard right now, laying off the corn.

8. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    You know, I noticed today that we've got alot of acorns on the ground at our lease, but the deer cleaned up all the corn we put out last weekend.....so, I "fed" 'em again today...you know....so they won't starve!:wink: (Rifle season opens Saturday--Halloween--gonna get me a big ole "spooky" buck!:tounge_out: