early accounts of the automobile... and yes, racing too.

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by sal_jr, Mar 23, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    hey- You all may or may not know but I have never been a fan of cars for collection or racing... only to get me where I need to go. HOWEVER, I found these accounts of the first cars rivetting to say the least.

Sometimes the earliest historical accounts are the closest thing we adults can grasp to the "golden newness" of an event and all the excitement associated. Its like a modern space exploration on the news- we watch with baited breath for the next thing to come to mind that never occurred before or the invention we can see up close that is groundbreaking... It is a beautiful thing, the wonder of newness! Maybe in the eyes of todays kids, nascar brings about this sort of excitement. Maybe to a lot of you, it has the same effect. All I can say i that I understand the racing fan better after reading this then I do from watching it served to us as a spectacle on television.

Enjoy!

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    No takers? Only 8 lurkers in almost a day?????

Really fellas... If you didnt read it youre missing out on a treat.

racing with no barriers and feeling people's coats brush the car as you pass on a turn... that WAS early NASCAR! lol

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    The road races in europe are like that. The people stand at the corners and when the cars miss the turn well...... I never thought a human body could fly that hi.
    Bill

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    I am familiar with some of those accounts, Sal. I enjoy reading about some of the early accomplishments and endeavors in the auto industry - especially racing.
    I don't remember the year, but Barney Oldfield drove a race car for Henry Ford around the turn of the century. It was a 4 cylinder with a 7 inch bore and a 7 inch stroke. It had, get this, 1000 cubic inches of displacement - now that's a big 4-banger.