Earliest for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slimcat, Jan 7, 2006.

1. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    What is the earliest anybody has started catching nice flatheads. I have heard some say the end of March. The earliest I have caught flats was in late April.

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    hey slime u can catch big flatcats right now but the big thing is propper loc and the right bait i know last year i caught my biggest flat in jan around the same plac that we are having the fish and camp i hope this helps

3. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    duhhhhh NOW.

and thats only cause i pay more attention to deer hunting than fishing but as rifle season draws to a close its time to get the whiskerfish stuff in order. within the week ill start baiting hooks and get the nets out, may even start the yoyo's too. this year is a fluke tho... january and rivers still at pool stage??????
    our high water may not be very high for sure but matters not, still going to fish and even so jan feb and mar are always my most productive months to catfish.

then again keep in mind im in north louisiana where our 'winter' is really like fall or spring for anyone else.

4. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    I start going after flats in early april,I hit up the creeks and sloughs around here and do it like i would search for crappie,float down the creek and hit every peice of structure i can find, and rig my rods with corks and fish with XXL shinners or live gills.I have had alot of sucess fishing like that in early spring.

5. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Bayoubear, I would like to see some of these January flats you can catch. I have never heard of any flats in January. They pretty much become dormant during the winter till March around here.
    Dusty how big was the flat you caught in January?

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have caught them as early as mid march, and have seen them caught at the end of february in lakes, but i believe you have to have the most perfect conditions to catch them that early. ones i caught were small and i was after channels. if the water is 48 dgrees or above they will bite but wont be very agressive. i usually wait until mid-late april depending on water temps. by then im usually burned out on the channels. i'd rather spend my time fishing for whats active than trying to push things too early.

7. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i have to agree with dinkbuster1 on this one. i have caught a few in march but mid to late april1 they start to hit good.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i too agree with dink,anything under 50* is just to hit or miss for my blood. that would be april some time here.

9. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Good question Slim,but as we both know ,(keeping in touch with eachother),it's all about where you''re fishing I guess.I'm not doing too good this season ,but last year I caught 2 faltheads in the 20+ range on New Years day,and continued to catch flatheads all winter.We had a mild winter last year .I know up your way the flatheads are laid up in hidding now.If this water would warm a tad here I'd be back in the saddle. I'm still tring though.I want one right now so bad it hurts.I would guess on down in the lower states(Fla.Tex,etc) you could taget flatheads all winter.I guess it just isn't truly winter weather everywhere.The season's just a longer season the deeper south you go.Would you agree with me on this? :D ......It'll warm up soon Bro hang in ther. I feel your pain :D

10. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Mudhole, I hear you on the hurting :crying: I need to catch one badly. I can't wait till march and april, gotta get back in the swing of things. Right now we are chasing the blues. Hows the water temps out your way? I think the flats around here are lying waiting for warmer water.

11. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Well we're hanging around 46 in the morning and up to 50 or so if the sun stays out.The weather is bitter here right now.I hope we get some warm rain this coming week.It won't take much I don't think to get the ol lazy girls to move a little :D

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Mudhole, you outta come down here if you think thats bitter, try 30's to 40's. I need to head out your way until April.LOL. I Hope you catch a hawg here soon, that way I can just see one.LOL :)

13. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Nah dude that's water temp,,,,,,,,,the air temp is in the upper 20's this week in the mornings and it isn't getting out of the 40's and 50's.Nah man the air is hard,,,,,,,,,plus we're having wind gust of 20+

14. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Sorry dude, I may stay here in KY. I hope one of us catches one soon though.May have to put a heater in the boat to warm the flats up a little. :D

15. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think water temperature has a lot to do with things. In IL, the early reports start mostly in April...

shawn

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The earliest I have ever caught flatheads here in ohio is Mid April, usually dont start to get on big flatheads till may.

17. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Mudhole, I think Slimcat was talking about water temps. They've been between 38-41 over here.

But air temps in the 20's is too cold for me to fish. Brrrrr!! If the air temp doesn't reach at least 40, I'm staying in. Esp. if there's going to be any wind.

Fortunately it's been a fairly mild winter thus far. Getting out hasn't been much of a problem, although the wind has been a factor. This next week is supposed to be in the mid 50's. I guess I'll have to venture out a time or two, LOL.

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Got to see one caught friday. I has pulled down along the river bank near Savannah Tn. And a guy caught one in front of me.
    They were sauger fishing with a 1 oz sauger jig tipped with a monnow. And the jig was inside the mouth.
    They were fishing a deep gravel hole. Water was about 60ft deep.
    WE catch lots of them here in the winter time while sauger fishing. and the sure enough move.

Pete

19. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Shane's right, if its in the 20's and 30's , I would rather stay home and work on fishing gear and make sinkers. I don't blame those yellows for not wanting to move around more. Stay on the couch on those days.

20. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I agree Slim ,but I like defying the odds of catching the ol' cold flathead.It can be done and I like being on the other end of the rod when it happens.I'm gonna fish anyway so why not try and make it happen.I think it would be so cool to have a picture of myself holding a nice flathead with a heavy snow falling.CRAZY HUH? Crazy but man it would be cool.I feel bad because I can't connect with ol' heavy this winter so far.I can say this though,it won't happen if I don't keep trying,right? :D