Eagle FishElite 480 GPS Sonar

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Mr.T, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Anybody have the Eagle FishElite 480 GPS/Sonar unit or know anything about them?

Best I can tell, it's almost identical to the Lowrance LMS-480, except the sonar power is about 1/3 as much. Appears to be a good solid fish finder and has some nice GPS features as well.

Comments?

2. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I have the fisheagle 480. Not the fishelite. The only difference I can tell between the eagle and lowrance is the lowrance has like a greenish back ground to help you see a little better and sometimes the lowrance has more power. If your stuck between the eagle and lowrance, for the money it is hard to beat and eagle. The units are idenical but the features I mentioned. I looked at them for months before I purcharsed one. I even ask people that used both. For me I went with the eagle. You will the love the detail. I really like mine and wouldn't trade it for anything else. I wish I had a built in gps. I use a hand held, but having it on your fishfinder would be a slick feature.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the information - I searched high and low and couldn't find anything bad on the internet about the FishElite 480, so went to Cabelas and played with it for 20 minutes or so - seems fairly intuitive and certainly shows a lot of detail. My only concern is how easy it is to see in the sunlight - I'm sure there's a contrast setting somewhere that I just didn't find, but the unit in the store was not as easy to see as I thought it should be.

Bottom line is that I went ahead and ordered this unit and it should arrive in the next week or so. I'll give a detailed report after I've used it for a while and figured out how to make it tick.

4. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Not to confuse you before you get your unit, when you start using it, you need to set the grayline. I have mine set to where the "lighter gray" it is, the harder it is. And the blacker it is, the softer it is.

For example, I put my boat over a rock bottom. I set the "grayline" to show it as "light gray" almost a white.

When fishing I can see old road beds, rocks, etc. that show up as being hard.

Brushpiles, logs, weeds, show up black and tell me that they are soft.

Also, my boat travels at a top speed of 30mph. The graph is good to up to 70mph! You can set the speed of the how fast the transducer and screen display reads. It is almost like a "flasher" on the side of the screen. I like it because I travel a river mostley and can see how shallow I am getting and can follow

I hope I didn't confuse you. If you have any questions I can try to help. You will really like this unit. It takes some using it and stuff, but before you know it, you will be amazed on what that graph will tell you. the detail is unreal........