Eagle Creek Live bait

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by BailBonds, Jun 25, 2008.

1. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anyone have a clue where to start to find bait to cast net on Eagle Creek?

2. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I fish Eagle Creek a lot but I've never seen
    anyone cast a bait net. However, I recently
    fished next to a man who had live shad that he
    had caught with a net near where we were fishing. If you enter the park through the
    71st street entrance there's an old drive
    dirrectly to the right. Drive all the way back
    until you get to the portolets.to your right
    there's a shallow cove.walk around that cove
    and you'll see narrow trail heading further
    back through the woods to a much bigger cove.
    That's where he said he caught them. I walked
    back there for the first time yesterday and
    noticed that the water looked deep right off the shore line. Probably a good place to try.
    Good luck!

3. shadgutter

shadgutter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    try around the bridge, also if u get there early mornen or at sunset u can see balls of shad swimen around at the top of the water. use a trollen motor 2 sneak up on them and throw right on top of them. u will catch tons of them.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    You can catch shad all around the lake and in the lower part of the creek. There are usually some to be had around the supporting pillars of the 56th st. bridge.
    Now be careful, I do believe that it is illegal to use live shad for bait anywhere in Indiana other than Brookville Reservoir...W

5. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I did not know it was illegal. That kills that. Saved me some trouble. Thanks

6. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That law is a bit outdated. Most CO's even if their wife left them, they're going bankrupt, and their transmission just failed won't write you a ticket for using live shad. Especially in water where they already exist.

That law originally was to kepp them from speading, but shad have become so prevalent that the law is pointless.

I don't ever encourage breaking the law, but in this case...it's your decision.

7. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hear you. It does seem pretty kooky that you can't use a fish that came out of the same body of water. So I guess if you get stopped with a live well full of shad you better know some fried shad recipes huh?

Thanks guys!

8. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I have the "Fishing and Recreation guide book"
    and there's no mention of it being illegal to
    use live shad for bait. Where are you guys getting your info?

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Page 45. Heading is called "Bait fish and Crayfish" second paragraph from the bottom.

10. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I stand corrected. Thanks Ben.

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah... I thinks thats stupid myself... Might as well ban artifical baits too... LOL

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i agree with you guys its an outdated law. i would tell them i kill them before i use them for bait. they would have to see you cast one live to ticket you!

13. scootyb

scootyb New Member

State:
    indiana
    i was given a warning last week and told there was a city ordinance against using a cast net at eagle creek.best answer i could get on phone is that fishing is by pole only.if anyone can find out different please post

14. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think Winston (metalman) is looking into that for you. Turns out he had some of the same problem a while back, for him, it turned out it was summer help that didn't know the regulations. Hopefully it'll be the same situation for you.

15. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I've talked to the park rangers there in the
    past about chumming for fish and setting turtle
    traps and they are like DUHHH!,"I'm not sure"..... What's up with that? You would
    think that they would know the rules fully
    about anything to do with fishing. What is it
    that they do there anyway? Are they merely
    police or what? Another thing I've noticed
    with them is that everytime I've seen them
    they pull into the area and usually don't get
    out of their car.They don't walk through the
    area and check for Fishing Liecence or anything! What's up with that?

16. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    From what I understand the Indy Parks system offers a "cadet" program, hiring 16-19 year olds for the summer to be basically junior park rangers. So I am not surprised they don't know the rules. They are all still coming down off of the power trip.

17. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Apparently there is an ordnance. Here is the email I received from them this morning:

Sec. 631-202. Fishing.

(a) Fishing will be permitted in the Eagle Creek Reservoir, but subject to all applicable state laws regulating fishing and subject also to any restrictions contained in this article regarding the types of fish which may be possessed in the area. Although fishing may be permitted at any place on the surface of the reservoir, except within five hundred (500) yards of the dam, the department of parks and recreation, in its discretion, may prohibit fishing from the reservoir banks in various designated places when necessary for the public health, safety and general welfare. Netting, seining, trapping and trotline fishing are specifically prohibited.

(b) Fishing from the bridge carrying Lafayette Road over Eagle Creek Reservoir located approximately seven-tenths mile northwest of 71st Street is specifically prohibited.

(c) Fishing from the 56th Street Causeway bridge is specifically prohibited.

(d) Fishing from any portion of the dam is specifically prohibited.

(e) The possession of a largemouth bass less than fourteen (14) inches in total length anywhere in the reservoir or park area is prohibited.

I sent a reply asking if the netting restriction applied to sport fish only or to all fish. Their response was that they are enforcing it as no netting at all of any kind.

Not only does this really suck but it's crazy. Now, if we want to use shad, in a lake that is teeming with them, we have have to take them there with us...W

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well you probably have the bass folks to thank for that I dunno, but wouldnt be surprised at all... I'd like to know the reasoning behind it.

19. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    everybody gets a warning! just be cool when they come up and just act like your stupid like they are. Who cares till you get caught! Gotta have shad.That lake needs to have a shad party. If the DNR out there would help control the shad the fish would be better!

20. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Pretty goofy rules. Don't confuse reasoning with the rules they have. My wife says I'm pretty good at acting stupid so I think I can handle that.