Eagle claw wire leaders

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bluesbrother, Sep 9, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    got some 18 inch 48 pound test nylon coated leaders at walmart they look good got barrol swivels and clamp on ones for the hook got 6 in a pack for under 2 dollers riged one up there not to bulky at all.any one use them? thanks and good luck

2. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Hope they work well for ya .

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have used them Musky fishing but haven't for any other kind.

4. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    After loosing several fish around trees and other debris, I switched to steel leaders. I am happy to report that I havent lost any fish since. But when I get snags, I almost always have to cut the line to save my gear from getting destroyed. I have used sticks and wrapped the line (20 lb Berkley) around the stick, and usually end up cutting the stick in half. That's the only downside I've discovered so far.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Using Steel Leader for catfish is a bad idea overall. 50-80lb Mono is the way to go.

6. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Once again Zakk, you have a chance to educate me, so please do. Does monofilament break off easier when I get a snag? And do I tie on from my barrell swivel to the hook?

I know the whole idea would not to get snagged, but we have alot of trees and Christmas trees in the lakes around here.

Reps comin your way!

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Your main line is usually more likely to break before your leader does. I use 25 to 30 pound Mono for my main line, and usually 50lb Mono for my leader. I also fish in very snaggy places at times, around a lot of rocks, trees, pieces of old bridges, etc. I have been fishing for Catfish in those places for about 4 years or so and my main line always broke before my leader.

So what I'm saying is, it really doesn't make a big difference if you use Mono or Steel leader, your line should always break before the leader does, and you shouldn't have to cut your line, when you cut the line it wastes your line and then leaves a trail of it for you to get hung on in future trips.

yes you just tie the mono to your hook from the swivel, or you can snell your hooks ahead of time and have them all ready when you're fishing. I make my leaders anywhere from 12-18 inches, the more current there is the shorter leader I use, and I usually do snell my hooks instead of just doing a regular knot on them.

Hope this helps.

Zakk

8. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks guy im thinking of using a hook that will straighten out???thanks

9. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    they hold up fine for big cats and stripers too up in the river

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well the thing about that is, you don't want to hook a big one and the fish straightens your hook.

11. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    it wont it you set your drag i have landed 40 lbers on aberden hooks