Eagle Claw snells

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, May 27, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    THRERS A GUY THAT I TALK TO THAT FISHES ABOUT 6 TIMES A WEEK

HES MAINLY A BASSER BUT WHEN THE LURES ARENT WORKING HE USES 2/0 BAITKEEPER SNELLS FROM WALLY WORLDAND ANCHOVIES .....

I WAS KINDA DUBIOUS AT FIRST BUT A WHILE AGO I DECIDED TO GET A COUPLE PACKS BECAUSE ITS THE SAME HOOKS I USE FOR CUT BAIT BUT DID A TEST ON THEM ....

CATFISH CONNECTION SAYS THERE RATED AT 12 LB TESTLINE.....
    MY SCALE IS ACCURATE BUT OFF BY 1 LB ( 15 LB BUMBBELL WEIGHS 14LBS- 5LB WEIGHT WEIGHS 4 LBS AND A 20 LB WEIGHT WEIGH 19 LBS )

THOSE LEADERS BROKE AT 17 AND 16 LBS I TOOK 3 DIFERENT LEADERS OUT OF 3 DIFFERENT PACKS ( TO SEE IF I GOT A BAD OR GOOD BATCH TO GET A ACCURATE READING ) SO REALLY THEY BROKE AT 18-17 LBS.....

I THOUGHT ID POST THIS BECAUSE I LIKE TO USE THEM AND HAVENT HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEM FAILING ....... WHEN I FISH IN THE WINTER I USE THEM FOR STRIPER FISHING BECAUSE THE LEADER MATERIAL IS STIFF SO THE SHAD STRUGGLES AGAINST THAT... MY MAIN REASON TO USE THESE IS BECAUSE WHEN I GOT A GUTTER OR THE HOOK IS DULL FROM GETTING SNAGGED IT TAKES ME SECONDS TO REPLACE IT

HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OF YOU OUT THERE WETHER U USE THEESE OR A DIFFERENT SIZE OR WONDERED ABOUT THEM

2. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    GUESS NOT.........................................:smile2:

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I usually tie a hook to a leader or a snelled one on a snap

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    LeRoy

If ya wanna do things the cheap way, like me, try this.

Snell your own hooks and leaders but also tie on a barrel swivel. I make a bunch of them and put them in little zip-loc type bags I buy at wal-marts craft section. Everything I fish for , including Striper/hybrids, uses this basic part. From there you can add, weights for Carolina rigs or slinky weights on your main line, floats for top water fishing or on your leader for a drift set-up. It works for me and I'm very fast getting back in the water....

Thanks for your testing results also.

-Jim-

Ps. I also use a marker to label the bags what hook size and leader lb test.

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ive been resently using those for striper fishing at night but iv been making leaders forever.......

ive probably made 1000 leaders because i cant make up my mind for the species and the hooks ( i always find a better solution )

i m a clinch guy for mono.... double polamar for superbraid...thats the only thing im not changing.........:wink:

ill post my leader "machine" tomorrow but im too beat rite now( ive made 100 leaders in 45 min so its pretty efective but its only for the clinch knot)

have a good one :smile2:

Attached Files:

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    With the type of hooks your using ( bent eye ) aren't they meant to be snelled ?

I've never seen anyone do it like that....Are your hook ups fairly high ?...just wondering.

-Jim-

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i think the eye is a preference of the angler ( dont quote me on that )

ive used down turned,upturned,stright but with the same knot so idk

maby someone out there could share some advice:eek:oooh:

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i'll take a shot at explaining the three style of eyes. assuming you're snelling the hooks up turned eye hooks(kahle,octopus, ect) "bite" better meaning that as you apply pressure to them the hook will roll into a locked position and become difficult for the fish to throw. down turned eye hooks (baitholder, oshaunessy, ect) place the point of the in a direct line of pull resulting in a high hook up rate but they can be thrown. straight eye hooks can be a comprimise provided you use a knot that results in the line coming off the hook eye straight like a clinch or uni. hope this helps

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

IVE NEVER EVER CHANGED A KNOT BECAUSE OF THE EYE

IVE USED THE CLINCH KNOT FOR EVERY STYLE EYE

KOOL I LEARNED SOMETHING TODAY :smile2:

10. fishin addict

fishin addict New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I read a study by saltwater longliners (commercial fishermen with giant lines with multiple hooks out) and this was recorded with results of thousands of fish caught comparing success with circles snelled, circles unsnelled, J hooks snelled & unsnelled. Circle hooks had a better catch rate & circles snelled had by far the best hookup rate. I too was using octopus hooks with bent up eyes and having some success but had a tarpon guide show me how they need to be snelled to get the proper angle to be most effective for all fish.