Eagle Claw Cirle Hooks and flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathead-kid, Apr 16, 2009.

1. flathead-kid

flathead-kid New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    OK so i have been using the 6/0 eagle claw circle hook for sometime now .... i use only live bream and have had pretty good luck.... now occasionally i miss some fish .... i just read that your not supposed to set the hook where i always have before .... im going tomorrow and i was wondering if i should just let them hook there selves ... OK so i use the bait clicker .... should i not use it when using the cirlce hooks and just let the fish load it there self?????
    or maybe the hook is just to small?????
    considering im using bream the size of my hand and smaller ....
    so do i get bigger hooks?
    turn the clicker off and tight line? (not a very big fan of this when fishing for flat heads)
    Both ???
    or just simply not set the hook???
    like once i hear my clicker or see the bobber go ... just click it shut and wait for the fish to tighten or what ...?
    and replies are appreciated!
    -Cory

2. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    If using circle hooks, there are two ways to utilize them as you stated, you can keep the clicker off with the line semi tight but make sure the rod is in a good holder or the fish will pull your pole in. If your going to use a clicker you can keep it in the holder or not, however when you engage the spool make sure its in the holder or you have a good grip on the rod. With circle hooks you never want to set the hook like you would with other hooks.When I fish with 8/0 circles and keep the line semi tight in a rod holder with the clickers off. Once the cat bends the pole and keeps it bent or tension on the line and rod you can tell pretty easily if he's on there, keeping the rod in the holder I reel the reel about 7 turns or so and pull the rod out of the holder, and the fight is on. I'd say my hook up rate doing it this way is about 90%, you must take into consideration though that sometime little cats or even big ones will do what I call lip the bait, and regardless of what you do you won't get a hook in them. The idea behind the circle hook is that the fish loads the rod and line creating tension which when the fish runs with the bait, the circle hook automatically sticks the fish. I hope I answered your question.

3. flathead-kid

flathead-kid New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
  4. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I fish with the mustad demon circle and I use the clicker I let the fish run very little due to the cover I fish. I use hooks anywhere from 1/0-14/0 the flatheads mouth is so big that a size 10/0 hook looks small in it so you find the size you like and fish it. I only use the clicker to alert me of a bite as I use four to six poles.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i like them clickers but, tight lining is a little better, it seems, sometimes the clicker will take off, then by the time u get to e ngage hes gone, anybody have this problem, but theres advatages two them like if u are on rock or its dark,but i use both metheds, i loosen my drag so he can bend then slip the line out,, so if u can tightline but clkers are cool, but i do prefer king kaels for flatheads i get better hookset ratio but they got to be kings,thats how i sugjust remeber let that poll stay bent or you loose thats thhe trick if it bounces leave it alone wait til its bent i find me self grabing the poll to qwick,arrrrrr, and that will mess u up if hes big and hungry he will take it after a while, but most of them are smaller channels bouncing the poll, im i right everybody, good luck to ye all arrrrrrrrrrrrrr

6. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    When I am using circles, I use the clicker and loosen the drag instead of freespooling, still clicks but they have to load the pole first....

7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I like using the Egale claw L-42, 4/0 widegap hooks. I've used them for many years and don't have any complaints. I still like setting the hook on the fish. They work for everykind of baitfish there is.