Eagle claw catfish rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by illnoize, Jul 13, 2006.

1. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    Has anyone used the eagle claw cat rods?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one, it sets in my basement unused, I personally would not recomend one unless you are on a tight budget.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've came CLOSE to buying a couple of these. They seems like they would work for channels. I may just have to use your next time Jack, to test it out. :wink:

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I have one it is the cat claw, so far I have only caught one big fish with it, 50lb flathead, the rod seemed to work well. I got the rod from slimy, he said it was a good rod and so far I like it.

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have used a cat claw rod for 3 yrs . it is a good rod , i would recommend them to any one.

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Arron;
    A few months ago when I was testing some rods to see which ones might meet my needs for a serious Catfishing rod, I first started out with the Eagle Claw "Water Eagle". This rod is 7' long Graphite Composite Spinning Rod that is rated for 8#-->17# line and .5 oz --> 1.0 oz bait and is Made in China.
    While this is a good rod for the money I quickly found out that this rod is very light for my needs. I would not want to tie into a 30#+ "Cat" that had a serious "attitudinal" problem! And, my requirements are most likely a bit more stringent than most too!
    If your on a tight budget and not able to spend more than $17.55 & S&H or are not sure of how seriously you want to get into this Catfishing "Sport" it would be a good rod to start out with in the beginning. It is quite capable of landing respectable sized "Cats" and if you get a BIGGUN' that breaks the rod, .... well you know your going to have to spend a bit more money for a better rod!:roll_eyes:
    If you have a bit of extra money, I would recommend you look into a Shakespeare Big Water Ugly Stik. It's just my opinion and observation, but I have two of the Big Water Ugly Stik and they seem to be better made in quality and attention to detail and the "action" of the rods seems to me to be much smoother than the Water Eagle. Of course your paying $50-$60 for the rod too so you would logically expect more too!
    If your not in a big hurry, I would also mention to you that you might check out the Berkley, American Spirit, Okuma Blue Diamond, Wildcat River Cat, Zebco Big Cat Rods, and Shakespeare Sturdy STIK and WICKED STIK.
    Also, I have heard many of the Brother's and Sister's speak highly of the Shakespeare TIGER Rods for bait-casting reels too.
    If your using a bait casting reel, then perhaps some of the other Brother's and Sister's will be able to tell you more about the TIGER rods because they have them and use them. I use a spinning rod myself so I have no experience with a TIGER rod. I do know that the TIGER rods are 7' long, one piece, come in a few different types of Actions, and, if memory serves, run around the $50 to $60 dollar range but someone that owns one could tell you more accurately.
    I do know that most of these rods I've mentioned can be looked at by going to the Catfish Connection website. http://www.catfishconnection.com/
    Although Catfish Connection is no longer a sponsor they still have good products just for Catfishing. If you live in the IL, MO, IA, areas it would be difficult to beat their prices. If you call them and get a printed catalog, or to place an order, ask for "Stacy". She is my contact there at their store.
    Finally, just to give you a bit more of a realistic perspective, I am currently working with "Gator/Jim Hudson, whom is one of our more outstanding members whom happens to build rods. I've not gotten mine just yet so I can't say for sure, but I have yet to find anyone that owns one have anything less than "excellent" to say about the quality of his work!! Plus, he gives us BOC members a SUBSTANTIAL discount on Labor too!!! :big_smile: Perhaps, if one of the Bro's or Sises that own a Gator see this they will take the time to tell you about the rods. He also has his own website now too. Again, if memory serves, it's http://www.akwolf.com/GatorsRods/
    There are other brands and types of rods out there but this should get you started. Pick one that looks like it will best suit your needs starting off and build from there. The BOC has many library and archive sites just loaded with information you can study on your own, and, as your finding out, all you have to do is ask and the BOC Bro's and Sis's will reply to you and give you answers, opinions, facts, etc, to the best of their abilities; All you have to do is ASK:smile2:
    I hope this helps you out a bit. I'm sure as other members read your post you will be getting more replies posted too.
    Take Care, GLAD your with US.:big_smile:
    If I can be of any further help please don't hesitate to contact me.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

7. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for the replies!