E-mail Scams

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Katmaster Jr., Mar 21, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I've got a lot of these email scams lately, the one's that are most dangerous are the one's designed to look like their from "Paypal" or "ebay" and other companies like that. I've recently got a few of them that tried to get me to give them my personal information and all that stuff....It looked just like it was from Paypal and I almost fell for it, so I got my dad to take a look and he's good at finding the scam ones and sure enough we looked into it and it was definitely a scam. They would have got my dad's credit card number and stuff if I had done it. Then there was another one that was supposed to be from ebay, well that one was trying to get me to give up my password and stuff but it was too obvious so I didn't begin to fall for that one.

Well I deleted those email's but maybe from now on we can use this thread to share email scams we get and hopefully help protect each other from these terrible thing's. If you fall for some of these scams you could get into some serious trouble.....mostly finnacialy I guess.

It's a real shame that we have all these crook's doing stuff like this, I have to be honest that I found most of the email scams were coming from Nigeria. Really got to watch out for yourself and be cautious at personal information you're giving out on the internet or anywhere else for that matter. I know, it's a shame that we have to worry about stuff like that but there's always gonna be crook's and sicko's out there. And it appears to be getting more and more common, I am getting a lot of these scam emails now, scams of all kinds! A lot of them are so obvious that anyone with common sense wouldn't fall for them. It's these other one's that look like a email from a big company that worry me.....I don't want any of my brother's or sister's on here to be a victim of these things. I know our member "Dano" had a problem already with some kind of identity theft, don't know if that was related to the internet though.

From now on when I get one of these email's I'll copy and paste it here so y'all won't become a victim. I hope y'all will do the same if you get a scam email. I think it would help to look out for each other.

Take it easy, Zakk.:)

2. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i will, but i usualy dont enen look at any of my email unless its from someone i know or one of my utilities that send my bill. i have to deleate about 50 to 75 of these things everyday.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.

I am the same way, unless I get a reply back from someone I know, or an email from someone I know, I never open them. A lot of these emails also contain viruses, when as soon as you open them your computer is at risk.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Zakk, the best thing to do is forward those e-mails to e-bay and to paypal. They both have a spoof site to e-mail that sort of stuff to. Just go to e-bay and they will tell ya all about this scam. Also forwarding these e-mails helps them to track the bad guys down.
    always close your email and go to the e-bay or paypal web site and see if ya got a message from them there. This is the only way to really know if its from them.

5. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Exactly T-Bone. I got one about pay pal a few months ago. I forwarded it to pay pal and they replied in a couple days that it was a spoof.

I also believe you have a good idea Zakk so we can keep each other up to date.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I've done that before, there's another way to tell if it's a spoof and thats got something to do with the coding in it, there's like something you can hold your mouse over and it comes up as some crazy website that's not from paypal or ebay and stuff. I just recently sent one to ebay though to help them try to get these guys.

I actually had to change my password on ebay, ebay told me I was in danger of them getting my password or something.

7. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Zakk, did ya read this warning from the ebay site in "My E-Bay" ? If ya got an e-mail that said you were in danger and clicked the link ,well, that's another spoof and not from ebay. (but, you know better then that).
    Always go to "My EBAY" and see if the same message is there too. If it's not then ya can bet it's a spoof e-mail.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep this one was in "My Messages" on ebay and had a little caution sign beside it and they wouldn't let me delete the message until 30 day's after I got it....this one was definitely a real one. One's like you're talking about are the ones I worry about the most though, they look real and almost got me a couple times. I did read that thing on ebay about those spoof's and stuff.

Thank's:)

9. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Thought maybe BMG was sending you offers for the "Backstreet Boys Greatest Hits" or something else you might like...:p

Ray

10. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Yep you gotta luv the "phishing" people i usually block most emails i don't have in my address book.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I get several a week, that has names of banks, Paypal, Ebay.

I use gmail, it puts them in the spam file... also gmail adds a red warning banner, (see attachment). They also block the url.

I also get several email scams from persons overseas wanting to share millions of dollars with me if I will send them my bank information. :p

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I get a lot of them too, I just wish they were true....LOL!

Maybe we all need to switch to gmail though....lol

Zakk:)

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    You'll pay for that one gutter boy!!!:mad:

14. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Zakk,

What did I tell you about that bulldog mouth over extending that humming bird butt??? Ray might send you to bed without your dinner and, with a bulldog sized welt, to boot. Hehehehehe

ekiM

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey boy, you best refer to me as Sgt. One eye....and who is ekiM?....he he he......:cool:

16. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    ekiM is my alter ego... the one who loves to help get them skinny humming birds kicked into the proper alignment. :thumbsup:

Kemi (another alter ego. Put you DON'T EVEN want to know about this one) :evil-big:

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I just give up, I never win.....LOL

kkaZ.......now that look's weird, let's try my real name..... eye eno .tgS

he he he

18. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I heard on the radio today their are IRS email scams going around trying to get info. They say it looks real and a lot of people have fallen for it.

19. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Zakk,

You're dealing with a bunch of old(er) guys who have been there, done that and got the printed tee shirts as the consolation prize. Get a few more years under your belt and you too will be able to pick at the younger members. Of course, you still won't win... :blink:

By the way. You have been demoted to a private, no class, for talkin bad at Ray.

Generalissimo Cycloptus Minimus

20. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I`ve gotten that crap too, emails posing as ebay or pay pal. Ebay told me they, or pay pal will never ask you personal info in an email.
    I also almost fell for a scam while buying a 57 chevy off ebay. Never send money or wire money or even send a "copy" of a cashiers check to anyone. There is a way the crooks can use those routing numbers from a cashiers check. I was just lucky I smelled something fishy and my daughter worked a a local bank. She got very upset when she heard that I sent a copy of a check to this crook. I was also very lucky that the teller at my bank just gave me a regular check for the car instead of a cashiers check "like I asked For".
    That car did`nt even exist!!