E-Glass for Catfishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by CJ21, May 22, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Guys I have didice to get two Bass Pro Shops Catmaxx Rod Rated 12-30 LB 1/2-2 OZ 7'9" M 1-PIECE CMX79MT Rod For my Abu 6000 and the Abu 6500 Blackcat Baitcaster I am going to get. I am wondering what do u guys think about this set up? and what ur thoughts on E-Glass for catfishing? The reason I am going E-Glass is because they hold up better and I going to be going after decent size cats. And Graphite Rods dont hold up to cats I use Graphite Rods for bass fishing.

2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    i use E-Glass, only because it's cheaper, i've been told that graphite is much more sensitive and you'll be able to detect the light bite better.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Graphite is more sensitive, but I dont care about sensitive, I need backbone and I think the CatMaxx will give me that I mostly use a slip float rig anyway so there is no need for sensitive.

4. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    E-Glass has plenty of power for catfishing. Those setups should be fine then.

5. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    They should be great. I have a couple of one piece rods. They are really nice to fish with, but get left at home sometimes because they are hard to pack to the lake and won't fit in the rod box on the boat. Not a big deal unless I have 3 boys in tow.

Jim

6. langstaff

langstaff New Member

State:
    tennessee
    my son has a catmax rod and catmax reel good setup plenty of backbone. i think his is a 8ft heavy. i think bass pro has 7"6" mh on clearance now.

7. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    They have the old models clearence priced to make room for the newly redesigned 2007 models!

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Hauling them wont be a problem, I will be getting a truck soon.

9. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    cj i have 2 of the mh 7,9s new live bait mods cj and the med action rods seem too flimsy i think you should try the mh but its up to you they are good rods good luck

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The reason I am getting the m action is because its lighter than the MH models and I just 1 oz weights to hold my bait down, and only 20lb test line.

11. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like the e glass rods.Graphite cast a little better but conducts electricity [lighting] and can be dangerous in a storm.
    Jake

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I heard that Graphite conducts electricity!

13. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have 2 berkley reflex 8 foot mh rods that are E-glass and I love them. They have a soft tip but a nice backbone. i carry my in the toolbox of my truck everyday and they are holding up well. I have not really tested them yet since the biggest fish I have caught on them is an 8 lb flathead.

14. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Such a pain to lug those one piece rods around. Some of the better rods out their are one piece though. I rarely use mine for that reason. Just my 2 cents.

15. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    E-Glass is the way to go. I just got some King Kat Pro rods and they are really good rods for the price also. Yesterday I used my new Glowsticks and they worked really good as well. Good luck and God Bless.

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks guys for the help, I Really like the CatMaxx Rods i think they will treat me well.

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I've got one of the cattmaxx 9' MH 2-piece rods and really like it. I haven't got to test it out with a big fish yet but I love the feel of it.Plenty of back bone and is a great match with my Abu 6500. Good Luck with it!

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ok, they are nice but I still cant pull myself away from a ugly stick catfish rod :lol: Its is calling my name. :lol:

19. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    cj,

I like the Ugly Stiks also....I'm haveing an E-glass rod built by Blackhorse Custom Rods that I can't wait to get....I'll be putting the BG7000HSN reel on it....Blackhorse sent me some pic's of the rod....You can take a look at it on his homepage at www.blackhorsecustomrods.com It's the top two pics on his homepage....Hope this helps....Dwight

20. alaskanollie

alaskanollie New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for this post...very interesting.