E-Cat vs Ugly Stick

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Ehardman, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Ehardman

Ehardman New Member

State:
    LeRoy, KS (On the Neosho)
    Ok, I know this has been gone over quite a bit, but want some fresh perspectives. I am getting ready to replace my old rods. I am down to picking either the Berkley E-Cat or the Shakespeare Ugly Stik Tiger. I like what I have read on each, and they are within $16 in price. Now for the final help to make up my mind. Thought about looking into custom rods, but think I will put that off for awhile.

Thanks for any help,

Ernie

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Welcome to the BoC Ernie. I see that you are from Kansas. Whereabouts?
    Im in Wichita.
    Myself, Id choose the E cat, mainly because I dont like the thick handles on the Tiger rods.
    Either one will do the job though.:wink:

3. Ehardman

Ehardman New Member

State:
    Thanks for your input. I live in LeRoy next to the Neosho River. Bout 15 miles SE of John Redmond. (Catfish Capitol of the World) :wink:

Ernie

4. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    :smile2:no comparison e-cat all th way

5. Ehardman

Ehardman New Member

State:
    Thanks I appreciate your help.

6. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I would go with the E cats but having said that the Ugly Tigers are pretty nice too. I own a couple and I really like them. Its a win win situation really.

7. Ehardman

Ehardman New Member

State:
    :crazy: Dont make it easy for me... :smile2:

Thank you and I appreciate the feedback

Ernie

8. fatcatalbert

fatcatalbert New Member

State:
    ohio
    ugly stick i never seen one break because of a fish

9. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I try "DO" stay away from shakespear anything all together. But I tell you what I have seen the Tiger first hand and the STURDY STICK from shakespear will out perform that tiger any day of the week and twice on sunday!! The STURDY STICK runs about $20 around here and does the trick on any size fish.... I don't own one myself but have three close fishing buddies that do and they have caught some trophy fish!.... Two of them are on the Iowa hall of fame! since my scale was water logged!!!! they got the top spots:smile2:

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Ernie. I own both,I have 4 E-Cats that I bought several years ago,1,#2-2,#3-1#4 I Love them the only issue with there rods was some folks had an issue with the inserts popping out on the guides, it has never happened with me though.I also have several Tigers both spinning and casting models in m/h and heavy Tough Rods. With that said the Heavy's and the#4 E-cats are stiff rods and unless you are fishing fast current with heavy sinkers and large baits i would recommend the M/H rods. The Tigers handles are large and sometimes are Difficult to get out of some rod holders like the driftmaster series. You wont go wrong with either.I would pick the New E-Cats if they were the same as the Old Style,I haven't seen them yet as to compare. I know when the E-Cats first came out that they cost $109.00 dollars a piece and the new ones are going to be around $70.00 so they are comparable in cost with Tiger. Hope this helps. Let us know which way you go. Tight lines my friend and Good Luck. J.D.

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've said it before & I'll say it again, "You can't go wrong with an Ugly Stick".
    I do have to agree with the issue regarding the handle size on the Tiger rods, it's the same issue as the Big Water series Ugly Sticks, they don't fit a lot of rod holders.

I use Quick-Draw rod holders from Scotty & they DON'T fit in them:eek:oooh:

12. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I used to have a couple of E-cats, 2 of the #3 and one #4. Fine rods, back when I had them years ago, I paid $90 each plus shipping for them. I liked them quite well.

I've also had a ton of Ugly Stiks over the years, both the freshwater and the Big Water rods. I've never had a Tiger Rod, but I have handled them several times. I have the same problems everyone else does with the BW and Tiger rods, the grips are just too big for me. They also seem to be a bit too long for me too. For durability, it's hard to beat an Ugly Stik or Tiger rod. You may want to look at the Tiger Lite rods. If I was going to buy a Tiger rod, I'd get these. They come in 6'6" med, 6'9" med/hvy, and 7' heavy actions, but they have trigger reel seats and slim cork handles. They look and handle much more like a regular casting rod than a heavy saltwater rod.

If it were me, I'd get the E-Cat rods, but I'm partial to 7'6" rods myself. I like that length for just about any of my fishing. I use a lot of flipping rods and lighter muskie rods in that length, and I also have several NiteStick Pro rods in that length too.

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Good advice. I've got both the regular Tigers and the Tiger Lites, and the Tiger Lites are lighter, more sensitive, and use a blank that tapers a little more gradually from tip to broomstick. It's actually a parabolic bend. There aren't too many fish out there that the 7' version couldn't handle. I love the cork handles and triggers. If I had to replace all of my existing catfishing rods with just 3 new ones, I'd probably go for the Tiger Lites, but I also wish they offered a 7'6" version.

To the original question, the E-Cat was a legend in part because it was one of the first quality catfish specific rods available. There are a lot more good options on the market now, but if you like the E-Cat it should hold it's own pretty well against any of them.

14. Ehardman

Ehardman New Member

State:
    Well, I wanna thank everyone for their help in helping me make my decision. I have decided to go with the E-Cat. I plan on buying 2 of the #3's and then later this year buy 2 more but #4's. Now I have to decide on a reel. I have read a lot of the older posts to help me with this decision as I figured it would be better then posting a new one. For the #3's I am going to equip them with the ABU GARCIA 6500CP and later the #4's with either the ABU GARCIA 6500iCS or the ABU GARCIA 9000i.

Now these will be my first BIG investment in quality rigs. My old stand byes for catfishing for years was Zebco 33's and Rhino rods. :eek:oooh: Nice thing about these forums you learn a lot and even though for my 30+ years of catfishing, I have caught some nice cats with that equipment. But if I am going to get into the big league need some better equipment.

Thanks again,

Ernie

15. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    :wink:you have made a grown-up decision:smile2: thats good tackle i don't care who you are:cool2: oh yes i have order in for 3e-cat 3's just have to wait for del

16. shadchucker

shadchucker New Member

State:
    indiana
    You might consider ugly stick custom in med/hvy or med the run you around 70 bucks

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
  18. Lund115

Lund115 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with Shadchucker. Go with the Custom stick. I own 3 of them.#20-#50 USCC 2270 Med.