E Bay Shipping

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by fat_fish55, Feb 11, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    just wondering if uyou guys have ever noticed this, i sure do. shipping on a reel or any other smaller item anyone sells on there may be from 10-25 bucks or maybe more. then i look up lead ingots and the shipping on them suckers is like 10 bucks or less for 40 lbs!!!!, right now there is 200 lbs for 11.10 shipping
    torques me off
    e-bay should regulate it so ppl pay actual shipping only

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

A lot of these guys pay for insurance to. Unfurtunately I believe they over price the reels they are selling to cover the shipping. I sent a reel to one of the members here, and it only cost me around $6 to send with insurance set at a reel price of $30, while I paid $12 to get the reel in the first place. That tells me the person who originaly sold me the reel priced it at around $60-$70 for insurance.

Occasionaly you will find a seller who is legit on the shipping. I only paid $7 shipping for one of Abu 6000's I got off of E-Bay. If you order the same reel from Wal Mart, the shipping would be about the same, if not a little less.

I would always try to find out what the shipping is before ordering if possible.

Ray

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Come on guys , You know they are making their money on shipping. You can ship flat rate from the post office for $8.00. Why would anyone SELL anything if not to make money. Stevie wonder can see this.!!

4. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    i can relate to you on that one.Been a buyer/seller on EBAY for quite some time now.Even though I'm fair when it comes to shipping charges,outrageous shipping cost is the name of the game.Seller's know that if someone out there wants your item bad enough,they'll pay it.Bought a rare issue of Rolling Stone magazine not long ago.The seller said $20.00(unbelievable,huh?) for shipping.I Wanted the magazine so bad I didnt care how much it cost to ship.But as far as unusual shipping fee's,yeah,I agree with you.

5. bandit06

bandit06 New Member

State:
    TEXAS, Lake Fork
    I do a small amount of business on ebay. I have sold every thing from a motorcycle to a race truck to all my old racing equipment to a software disc. You are right that some of the people charge you just the "actual shipping charge" then again others add to that charge their time, gass to go to the post office, packing material and so forth. You just have to look to see what their shipping charges are going to be before you buy.

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    A lot of times the sellers on e-bay count on their item going for less than it's worth. So they up the shipping cost to offeset this. An example is if someone is selling a reel worth $80, and it cost them $60 wholesale, they will put a reserve of $40-$50 on the reel, then add a shipping charge of $26.00. That way, if someone meets reserve they are guarnteed that it will be paid for.

Then, if the reel seels for more than $60, then they have just made a profit.

7. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Have you ever seen something with a "Buy it Now" of a penny, but shipping is $45.00 and the item might be worth $38. What they are doing is getting the price they want through the shipping charge, and they don't have to pay eBay a higher fee since it sold for a penny instead of $38.00. Sooner or later eBay will catch on they are getting ripped off and set a limit on shipping costs. If they point out several times in their description to check the shipping costs and they are extremely high, that's what they are doing. If the price is about right, but the shipping is still way high, then they are ripping you off.
    Rat

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It's like anything else, you have to look at the whole picture. If you are buying from out of the sellers state you save the tax. Buying online saves you the gas, the time, and the aggravation of standing in line. I have bought and sold many many items on Ebay. Another thing that sellers do especially if there are other competitive sellers of the same product is to lower there reserve or buy it now and raise their shipping. Originally I used to charge a higher shipping price and sold lower based on the fact that Ebay charged me on the selling price, not the shipping. Ever notice that some of the CD's can be bought for .99 but the shipping is ten bucks? Who knows, maybe some folks figure their time is more valuable than others. Bottom line is that when you buy online, read every line and understand that the total of your purchase includes shipping and you figure out if it's worth it to you. Not much difference than paying $200.00 for an item getting to the register and shelling out $214.00 because they added sales tax IMHO.

9. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Ebay doesn't include the shipping price in their fees. Sellers sell something for .01 and 9.99 shipping and it costs you $10.00. They only pay a seller's fee on the .01 price.

You buy something for $9.99 and pay .01 for shipping and you end up paying the same amount but the seller has to pay final value fees to ebay for $9.99.

It cost less to sell something on ebay the way they do it, but it also turns off a lot of buyers. I try to keep my shipping charges near what it cost's me when I sell on Ebay.

Ebay has made it a lot better for the buyers now by showing the shipping costs alongside the current price when browsing or searching for something. You no longer have to click on the listing to find out what the shipping charges are.

10. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I bought six tickets to a Reds game two years ago for I think $27.00. Shipping cost $10.00. They came in an envelope with a regular stamp on them. No insurance. No same day shipping. But I knew that the six tickets would've cost way more than I paid w/ the $10.00 added on for shipping if I would've went to the stadium and bought the tickets.

11. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    got to always look at the shipping and the sellers feedback. see it all the time on there. people buy something dont look at the shipping charges get mad and post a negitive on the seller becasue his shipping was high. read the full auction and make sure of what your paying. been dealing with ebay for many years with no issues just that i am very careful to make sure what all costs are. 99% of the time anymore you cant get a good deal on any reels etc by the time you pay shipping.

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Some sellers are rediculous w/ the shipping costs... now some things i understand cost more to ship... like some 1 piece rods and surf rods over a certain legnth broken down... but 20 for a reel is rediuculous... I always try to look at the shipping costs before i bid and include that in the total im willing to spend... like say shipping is 12 for an 8ft cast net... my bid will be between 3 and 8 dollars cause im not spending more then 15-20 on a cast net thats not the best quality....

I look for deals and $20 shipping on a bunch of tackle that costs less then 30 inthe store is rediculous... same w/ more then a dollar or 2 on a lure (i don't buy them if its like that) that they have the min bid set at $3 on... Its rediculous... Thats why i tend to wait till this time of year and hit the fishing fleamarkets around the area and get better deals from them then anything else...

13. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i sold a antique pipe crimper/former tool weighed around 70lbs
    i put it on a flat house scales and it said 70 lbs took it to the post office and it made the scale reject the item for us mail shipping so i had to take it to a mailing/shipping company and they said it weighed a few onces over 70 lbs. (u.s. mail has a 70 lb limit.:mad:
    i ended up haveing to contact the seller and have them send me the amount for shipping from this company and he did so after recieveing the money i mailed off the item to him. i did a lot of leg work and crated this myself for free. the guys that charge a whole lot for something so light and simple as a reel or cd are ripoffs ive gotten things from over seas with less shipping costs than these jerks charge here in the states.

14. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    my favorite word for ebay evilbay.

15. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    It is funny that this thread started. I agree with the outragous cost of shipping if charged that way.

Here is my story. Last weekend I one the bid on a nice old rod and reel. I paid the shipping charge that the guy had stated. I didnt think it was that bad. I wanted the rod an reel really bad and was happy with the price. Any way late in the week got an email from ebay That stated that the seller found out that the shipping was that high and he had refunded to me over hlaf the shipping cost. Moral of the story. There are good people out there. Also I am even more happy with my purchase.

16. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    For the most part, I have had pretty good luck with e-bay! I did buy some little cows and horses for my ho train scene. I think I won the bid for $1.50, but paid almost 7 bucks for shipping! When the package arrived 3 weeks later. The envelope had 60 cent postage! Some of these guy's make a living doing that!

17. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well you guys are right alot of them do make more off of shipping then the items they sold. But I sale alot on ebay and i can say that you pay just my cost or sometimes ever less then my cost. I ship everything Priority mail 2 to 3 days most all orders are there. The best thing to do its see if others have that item for sale check the shipping with as many as you can find. I know i can ship bait to OK for less with Priority mail then a guy in OK that sales it can ship to me UPS. Alot of you have ordered thing from me check your shipping cost and see.

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I ordered a battery for a computer recently. One place had it for $38, plus $14 shipping, the other had it for $24, plus $25 shipping.

If everything else is equal, the one with $25 shipping is the better deal. You just have to pay attention so that you don't get suprised. I never order from a seller that doesn't list his shipping, though.

19. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My business also accepts packages and and we package things for people who want to ship via UPS or FedEx. We always hear so and so charged this much blah blah. Or they simply come in when selling and ask before they post how much it will cost to ship something befor ethey post it.

Key things to do/remember when using Ebay:
    Always check the full ad before bidding. If a seller does not have the price listed, email them before you bid. You can also go onto USPS, UPS, or FedEx to use a shipping calculator. I know UPS is close to the actualk when using the online calculator, but it just so happend we are cheaper;) :cool:
    As someone stated, some people list their item's cheap and overdo the shipping. Look at what the ad says first. Then you have no reason to complain later. You may pay 10 bucks for shipping when it only costs 3.00 I charge exact amounts for shipping or at least within a few cents. Some people charge more, because it takes time to package depending on the item, and the packing itself also costs.

Anyone ever order from Cabela's, BPS, or most other tackle places? They charge according to the total price. you can buy hooks only for a hundred bucks, but you know darm well it only costs a few bucks to ship them even though they might charge 15. That is how they get you. Many people think they get a good deal on something that is marked down online all the time.........unless they see what the shipping costs then they see it was the same as buying from the local tackle shop.

20. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    another thing to note.......if what you are ordering is less than 3-4 lbs, shipping is generally cheaper through UPS. At least at my shop it is. Some UPS drop offs will inflate such as UPS stores, but most times it is cheaper than the PO. especially if you want guaranteed delivery dates, Insurance, and signatures.