E-Bay Rod Holders, DriftMaster Style

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by Wabash River Bear, May 11, 2008.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I saw some cool lookin DriftMaster style rod holders when I was down in Henderson Ky. picking up some gear from DH, he got em on E-Bay. They are made similar to DriftMasters but are a continuous bend, no welds, plus they are a dual angle holder. I ordered a set, 6 holders with bases and wingnuts for $65.00, free shipping. Cant wait to get em and mount em up.

Attached Files:

• 52_1.jpg
      52_1.jpg
      File size:
      14.2 KB
      Views:
  2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'd like to see the jig those come out of. I dont think I would know where to start um at and if I did . I'd probable have to cut the jig all up to get it off.lol
    but realy those look real sturdy. but myself I wouldnt give what you paided for a little rod bent around though. you need to send me some measurments off that thing and I'll bend up a few and put on e-bay myself for that kind of money.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    they are the same as what i have but mine are a single angle but they work great... are yours 1/2" or 3/8"th steel?

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    you can bet these arent hand bent .. im sure they were done on a cnc wire form machine...

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Build me a set Leroy, i trade ya some turkey calls that didn't werk:smile2:

6. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    DriftMaster Lil Duo's are $15.99 each x 6 = $95.94, + shipping if ordered. $65.00 sounds like a deal to me. But hey, go ahead and bend up all the scrap rod you want. While you are bendin and cussin I'll be fishin. :crazy::big_smile::smile2:

7. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    They are the 3/8" ones, he didnt offer the dual angle in 1/2".

8. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    lol john I already got a box full of calls that only seem to call squirals.
    but yes they are more an likely built on a cnc but I can go out in the garage and heat and bend some on a quick jig let my buddy take to work and powder coat and if you didnt know better you would never know.

9. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I see you lurkin down there JW! Quiet aint your style bro. How you been?

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Those are nice rod holders and I've seen them in action. $65 sounds like a good deal to me!

11. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: jw is just a little shy ..

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    berry fella I aint trying to rock the boat buddy so dont take me wrong. If your happy with them thats all that matters you got a realy nice set of holders. I have only worked with metal in my work history and most of the time if I see something like those I prefer to make them myself but I also have the tools to do so. and to me I see about 3 bucks a pice in them with out paint.

13. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have a full machine shop at work and i was still to lazy to make them... $18 in material and $80 worth of labor.. i like bear chose the cheap easy way out and had more time to fish!! :big_smile:

14. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    :smile2: My boat aint rocked yet, lol. I play with steel myself, 27 years as a machinist, welder/fabricator, millwright. I do make most of my gear, but these I chose not to fight, $65 aint gonna break me. They aint 1045 mild steel, they are supposed to be 4140 stress relieved, galved, and plastisol coated.

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS

He sells the single angle uncoated version at $30 for six. If it's $3 in material I figure 2 bucks a piece is pretty cheap for the labor.

What I like about them, compared to Driftmasters, is that there are no welds, and I've heard of several Driftmasters failing at the weld. What I don't like is that they are only zinc coated, and I've already seen a little rust on mine, at the threads. Driftmaster uses a stainless steel stem, welded to a galvanized or zinc coated upper.

16. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I ordered em Friday night,,, they were sittin on my doorstep when I got home from work today. I am very happy with the way they look, should be great on the boat. Money well spent.

17. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    I just received the 6 rod holders I bought on ebay. Nice! I got the 30* angle with the 8" stems. I'm very happy!

18. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    for anyone ordering these 3/8th rod holders get the shortest stem you can use .. the longer the stem the more leverage on the mounting point and the stems are a little weaker at the threads any way.. its not a problem to shorten them and rethread if needed.

19. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I make mine out of 1/2 S.S. these take about two hours to make. They are 32 degrees and the stems are 4inches. I also have bank rod holders that are the same. I just don't spend money on things that I don't have to.

Attached Files: