E Bay fraud or Not??

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Chuckb, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    I recieved an e-mail today claiming it was from e-bay and someone was trying to use my account? It wanted me to verify my account and when I clicked on the link it looked exactly like I was signing in to ebay. Only thing is when I signed in it wanted me to verify my account with my credit card #?? Is this a scam?

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    It is a scam, Paypal my have your card number but ebay don't need it.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    it sure is Chuck Forward the email to ebay i have received the same one several times

4. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Most likely it is.

Only contact EBay through their site to update anything with your account.
    Trash the email an go directly to the ebay site and ask them.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    YES!!!!!
    I get them and turned it into e-bay and they said it was. Dont give them your info. If you did change your password and paypal passwords. Also I put them as spam on my e-mail so they now go to the bulk .

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    LISTEN BROTHERS....

ANY EMAIL COORESPONDENCE YOU GET FROM EBAY OR PAYPAL, SEND IT THROUGH TO THEM AT ONCE JUST TO BE SURE.

FORWARD THEM TO EITHER spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com repsectively.

I do it to all email I get- 99% of it comes back as a fake. If it is real they will tell you.

Sal

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Do what spoonfish said, go to the Ebay site directly and change your password now. :eek:

8. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Thanks guys, I sent it to ebay and they said it was a scam. Bad thing is they got my password first so I am in the process of changing it now.

9. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Here's a tip when making a purchase on ebay. Pay through Paypal and only with a credit card. Paypal will withdraw the funds from your bank account if you're not paying attention when making the payment. Use ONLY a credit card. If you get something that was not as expected, return it with delivery confirmation and file a dispute with your credit card company. You have to have proof that you returned the item. You can also file a dispute if you didn't receive the item and the seller will have to prove you got it.

Paypal don't like for you to go directly to your card company, but they usually aren't much help and neither is ebay.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I get junk like that all the time... says it's from banks, ebay or Paypal... they are all spoof. Good thing about using gmail... they file it as spam and put a large red banner across the top saying... Warning: This message may not be from whom it claims and use caution about sending personal info.
    Also gmail blocks the link.
    My regular email puts all spoof in the spam folder.

A good clue that its spoof... it will be from an unsecure site and the message will say Dear "Member" or something like that. Real mail will start with Dear "your full name". Also real mail will never ask for personal info.

A secure site will start with https:, the "s" ensures that the website is secure.

11. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    You can go to e-bay's web site and sign in. On the My E-Bay page, You will either have a notice from E-bay there or you will not. Allways check with e-bay before you click on a e-mail link. Or for that mater always verify with whom ever the e-mail is from before clicking on the link in the e-mail.

If you do click on the link. You had better change all your passwords and user names. This will stop the scam from burning you.

12. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    :eek: it's a scam for sure. I would contact ebay asap!

13. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    ive had a dozen or so in the 3 years ive been involved on ebay.
    sal has the correct address to forward that spoof to.
    sure hope you got to it in time before someone started to buy on your
    account!!!!:eek:

since we are on the subject of ebay...
    i sold a jon boat not to long ago on there and the last
    day of the auction a bidder with no feedback and
    from UNINTED KINGDOM out bid the high bidder and supposedly won the boat
    well he contacted me the next day and said and i quote:
    congratulations on selling your boat
    here is my method of payment..... i have a client in the us that owes me some money so i will send him a cheque for $5,000.
    i will need your name and address so he can give you the check you can cash the check keep the amount for the boat and give him the rest so he can arrange for shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!LMAO

this was a scam to get me to cash a bad check and leave me holding the bag for a fraudulent check charge .

there is no limit these creeps will go to to bilk someone outta your money!

JUST GOTTA BE CAUTIOUS !!!!!!!!

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Now I remember why I don't Ebay. It aint worth the hassle.
    My finances are more important in the realm of security then saving a few bucks here and there.

15. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i hear what your saying mark but if you dont
    give out your information to a third party like chuck may have you have nothing to worry about.
    i have 100% positive feedback and purchase through paypal
    paypal gives you a bit of leverage in the unlikely event something goes sour.
    i say unlikely (if you look around and read before you push accept )
    i try to only deal with reputable sellers and save for 2-3 items only pay through paypal and i havent had any problems.
    i still see where your comeing from though and i aint knockin your take on it!
    hard to get your head lopped off when it aint on the choppin block!!:p

16. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I hear ya on that Mark. Good call

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I like Paypal because you can purchase without having to trust the seller / vendor with your credit card or bank account information. You could still get burned, but the damage is limited to the amount of the transaction.