E-85 Flex fuel

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ol Man, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
  2. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i dont know why if we are supposedly so dependent on foriegn oil we dont convert to ethynol! I mean the only negative thing would be that corn prices probably would hit the roof. but who cares about that?
    that being said, i wonder if someone could answer me why our oil companies dont dig for our own oil anymore. I grew up in the seventies on the texas gulf coast during both the oil boom and supposed energy crisis. I know theres still lots of oil to be had. Screw the mid-east! refine our own crude! Hell, not only that, we are spending billions of dollars and lots of lives to liberate the Iraqis; lets take their oil for free and have $1.00 a gallon gas again!

3. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    ok, after lookin it up, i see that the e85 yer talkin about is ethynol. the page you cited used $2.41 a gallon for e85 and with lower fuel economy there wouldnt be much saved in the pocketbook according to them. I think that is not really correct. I think the ethynol would be so much cheaper to make than gasoline, the price per gallon should be much less. lol, in a utopian world anyway!

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm no authority on this but I doubt gasoline is that expensive to make. It's just after all those politicians and middlemen get their fingers poked into the pie that the prices shoot out of sight. If and when we get this ethynol settled down to the bottom line I can see it right up there with gas prices. Ol' Unk is high maintenance.

Middle age is when you have stopped growing at both ends, and have begun to grow in the middle.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The problem with producing ethanol is that current technologies require the utilization of about as much fossil fuel to produce 1 gallon of ethanol as it takes to produce a gallon of gasoline, so you're not really gaining anything. Once you account for the fuel burned in the tractors tending and harvesting the corn, the (petroleum-derived) fertilizers used to grow the corn and the fuel energy required to run the ethanol distillation factories, you end up burning just about as much fossil fuels to make a gallon of ethanol as you if you had just burned gasoline in your engine instead.

The term is "Net Energy Balance" and refers to ratio between conventional fossil fuels and the "alternative energy" fuels that are supposedly replacing them; the "Net Energy Balance" for Ethanol is somewhere around 0.8 to 1.5 -- meaning it takes either slightly more fossil fuel or only a little bit less fossil fuel to produce an equivalent amount (in BTUs) of ethanol.

It's only marginally better on the environment also, because several of the plants that produce ethanol are switching from natural gas fuel to coal because of cost savings -- so the pollution that ethanol supposedly saves is being created in the production of ethanol, again you don't really get anywhere.

There's an excellent (although lengthy) article about ethanol fuel over on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel -- Some of the article is debatable as to its accuracy and freedom from bias, but overall, it really goes a long way to explain the current state of ethanol production and helps you understand why, given current technology, it'll never replace petroleum-based fuels.

The reason we don't drill our own oil is really twofold: First, it has historically not been cost-effective to build an oil well when the oil can be purchased abroad. That may be changing with the rising cost of oil. Second, the environmentalists simply won't allow oil wells to be dug -- there's an unbelievably huge reserve of oil in the Alaskan National Refuge but it's a pristine wilderness area. Until we've run out of third-world countries to plunder for their oil, we don't need to use up our own reserves.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :0a15: WELL WHEN YOU GOT A PRISIDENT WHO OWNS OIL WELLS OUT IN TEXAS WHAT DO YOU EXPECT. HE SURE DOESN'T WANT THE PRICE TO GO DOWN. HE DON'T CARE NOTHING ABOUT THE LITTLE GUY. LONG AS HE MAKES HIS FORTUNE. WE GOT A PIPE LINE UP IN ALASKA BUT THEY WON'T LET US USE IT. DON'T MAKE A LOT OF SINCE.

7. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    We've been buying oil and pumping it into the ground for years. If they dug new wells and started pumping oil out, then we would just have to pump more back in.

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey, I care about corn. Good stuff. :hungry:

I like it grilled. It keeps me regular. Wrong kind of gas. :embarassed:

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Me too... I use it as a supplemental heat source, instead of wood.

A man has reached middle age when he is cautioned to slow down by his doctor instead of by the police.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Some people still connect President Bush to oil. Bush was in the oil business once, years ago. So happen it was 20 miles from where we lived. He went belly up busted! He later made some money being a part owner of a ball team.
    Bush's income tax return is public information for all to see.
    Check it out.

In the meantime the libs and the environmentalist continue to say no to drilling for oil in Alaska's arctic waste land. But at the same time beg for more environment laws and controls.

11. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    We already drill in the "arctic waste land". The oil fields of Prudehoe Bay are the largest in North America and they're only about 25 miles away from the western border of the ANWR. It's these oilfields that supply the trans alaska pipeline, which right now carries about 770,680 barrels of oil a day.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yeah, I think everybody already knows about Prudhoe Bay, The North Slope. I had friends working in that area in the oil industry probably before you were born. I'm talking about the rest of the wasteland (some call it a Reserve) that the libs and environmentalist have been blocking drilling for years. Even the people of Alaska have approved drilling in that area.

13. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

14. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn