DZ-32 Sims Grabs My Interest with the Dead Zone

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ratkinson, Aug 10, 2008.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I have a buddy who runs the archery department at a major sporting goods store. I won't mention any name,but, it's worth taking a Gander...... Anyway this particular friens and I met in a small personal bowshop where the customer was more than just a sale. He has continued to keep this practice of small town service even at this giant of a store. He is a diehard Hoyt man so if you don't need to ask him what to buy. I shoot em all. I make a phone call the night before and te which one to set up for me. Our set up is identical. All I need do is adjsut the pin slightly our point of impact is 4" different. (or aim low4").

The bow I sellected to try was the Deadzone 32. To my knowledge Simms Labs first offering. We played and shot with this bow for hours. Alot of passers bye showing interestrest. At the indoor range I was plinking arrows off one another in a matter of minutes, forcing us to switch to a 5 spot target (or buy some arrow). So for accuracy up to 25-28 yards (limited by range size) I give it a big thumbs up. It's IBO rating is 320-330fps to the best of my recollection. At 29" set at 70lbs I was able to obtain slightly over 300fps with my carbon arrows. I'm sure I could pair things down a bit and get bigger results, but, it was whisper quiet loaded sound dampening gear out of the box. You choose your stabilizer. The main comment from watchers was, "man that thing is ugly". It does boast the close to parallell limbs, as well as an almost straight riser, following in the footsteps of most of the big bow lines. While I didn't put them side by side I assume the hybrid cam is bought from Hoyt (cam and a half) because the look & draw cycles are almost identicle. The riser is skeletonized with cut outs to pair down the mass of the bow. They achieved a low-mid 4lb mass. The "uglyness" in my opinion is becase of the features that made me stand up and take note. They have a "rotating folcum" which allows string adjustment and repair in the feild with out need off a press,withyou allen wrench set. If you've ever had equipment failure in the feild and been down during prime time iting on the archery shop, this feature alone is worth it. They have extended the limb pockets well beyondthe riser which I felt made the bow more balanced in my hand. There didn't even appear to be contact between the limb and riser. You'd have to see it to understand what I mean. It also sports a very forgiving 7.25" in brace height. The Archery Gods Brought down the lightning with no thunder with this model. While I would proudly carry on my ventures into the woods this year, the $750 ish price tag will prevent that. Another couple seasons with the Deviator are in order. All the Hoyt, Mathews, Diamond guys will no doubt say it pales in comparison to their new offerings. I haven't shot them all YET.
    Limbsaver has thrown their hat in with the big boys and in one man's opinion come out smelling like a rose. I encourage everyone to shoot em all and then decide, but, DO include the DZ-32 on that list.

www.simsvibrationlab.com Check one out today.

Richard

2. mobowhntr

mobowhntr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the review. I wouldn't mind giving one a shot, but like you the price tag is what turns me off to new bows.

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Thanks for your response bro. I guess maybe I'll keep my bow reviews in my bow hunting forums...............LOL The tidal wave of responses has tuckered me out.

Richard

4. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    im gonna be in the market for a new bow next year but ill never get rid of my high country excalibur. probally end up turning that one into a carp bow. there is so many models out its gonna be hard to choose but i want somthing alot lighter, quiet, an more speed all in one package. by next year they will already have somthing better than this year lol..... thanks for the review

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a tough time with all these new bows coming out. They want some big bucks for most of them and I just can't see that they are worth the price. I paid $12 for mine in 1976 and have taken a lot of deer with it, 129 to be exact. Hunting where I am, I rarely have to take a shot over 20-25 yards. Any bow will do just fine at these ranges. All the gimmics are designed to bag hunters...not deer.