dying to learn

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by channelsmasher, Jul 16, 2009.

1. channelsmasher

channelsmasher New Member

State:
    kalifornia
    hey bro's this is my first post to the B.O.C. Im located in huntington beach, ca and have been fishing for a while but only have been trying to catfish for about the last 4 years, my biggest catch was last week at irvine lake, only four pounds, im sure im doing stuff wrong. hoping to find a bud to show me some stuff

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC Brian! Tons of good stuff here! Check out the member library, there is a wealth of knowledge there.:wink:

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC. You will find a lot of help here, just ask your questions and you will meet people on here to fish with that will teach you what they know.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Brian. I am in Frsno California. Wish I could be more help. There is a bunch of Southern Cali boys down there that will point you in the right direction:wink:

5. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    welcome to the BOC Brian , I am in Bakersfield CA.. there will be some so-cal members that will help ya

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Brian welcome to the BOC...Lot's of BOC bro's down your way am sure they can and will help you out.

7. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Welcome to the BOC Brian, thanks for your post and I am sure someone from your area will help you along.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Brian.

9. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Welcome to BOC. You will get good info here. I'm sure some of the SoCal folks will hook you up with some tips and pointers.

10. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Brian. Can't add anything to what's been said but you'll find yourself in good hands. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Welcome. As far as your biggest catch only being 4 pounds, you may not be doing anything actually wrong. There really is not too many recipes that will guarantee you a big fish at a lot of these lakes except bigger pieces and location. Location is the biggest factor. To get bigger fish at Irvine you will need a boat. Also traditionally at Irvine the fall is the months for the bigger cats be it channels or blues. They have not had a stocking of dd size blues this season yet with the exception of a stocking that went in spring time and the few that are caught are holdovers. High water fishing at Irvine like it is now gives the fish plenty of more places to hide therefore making them harder to locate. When the water drops and by mid September we will start to see more and bigger catches at Irvine. If you want anything with some shoulders its best to wait until the fall or travel down to San Diego as far as blues and channels are concerned if that not too far a drive. Hesperia has big cats too they stock weekly. Corona and Sarl are not my cup of tea for cats because they do not have any real big ones in there so I rarely fish it and its been years at that. Irvine is the best local catfish fishery without driving an hr and a half or so.

12. chiliboy

chiliboy New Member

State:
    california
    Where's the best place for cats in San diego. I want to go there because it's a little cooler weather wise. Thanks.

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the BOC Brian.... I live at the beach in Redondo.... most of my fiishing is away from here but I do get into the ocean once in a while. I stay away from the "Pay lakes" and mostly get to the Colorado River at Blythe or Yuma area. I just came back from Mendota where fishing was OK .... but I was there more for the "Gathering" with my Central cal boys...I just dont like the places where you cant keep a boat on the lake and fish at night etc...

Enjoy the BOC.... lots of nice folks here and things to learn in the Library...

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a23: "Brian to the B.O.C."! aka "Fishing & Life 101" (lol)
    Hey - I been a member Here for some time now & I'm not ashamed to admit that
    "I'm Still Learning Things Everyday Here"!
    :wink:
    Like the members here are saying, I don't think that you are doing anything wrong,
    "It just a matter of being in the right place at the right time" & "Using the right tools for the job" (lol)
    and you too will learn alot of things here + there are lots of very good fishermen in your area + all over this web-site that would be more that willing to hook-up with you & show you some things.
    (They have with me over the years):0a31:
    :wink:

Take Care Buddy,
    Bert (Shania)

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Quite a few places, you have Lower Otay which has the biggest cats in blues. They also have quite a few dd size channels as well if you can get on the. When San Vicente opens back up, that lake will produce as well as far as blues is concerned. They have big channels too up to 20 pounds and more as the record is in the 30's for channels. You have lake Sutherland that has not as big of blues but they have them. Also decent size channels. Lake Henshaw is excellent for channels, eater size. El Capitan is an excellent blue lake, but small ones. Also good for channels as well. Santee Lakes put out some good channels as a pay lake. Poway, Dixon, Murrey. Quite a few places you can hit up. Just keep up with thw bite and you will be alright. Other places there too like Jennings, Wolhford, Cachuma, etc, but the better cat action is at the first places I listed.

16. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Brian