Dye's

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by TX Fisherman, Feb 26, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    do you have to dye your traps and snares, if not what is it supposed to do?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kevin the use of Dye is entirely up to you In my own observations though it will help to eliminats scent ,camoflage the traps or snares and preserve them a bit .Logwood dye works similar to gun blue.I think its much more important to have your traps properly waxed than dying them altho I do both religously

3. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Kevin the dye is to help prevent rust and camouflage the trap. I use to dye my land set, now I just wax them. The only reason I wax them is to protect them from the dirt I bury them in and if I put anti-freeze on them. I for one do not worry that much about scent, as a cat dose not care that much about it nor do I feel a fox dose. If you are trying to take coyotes, then yes you better worry about it, as they can smell a human a mile off. I for one try not to take coyotes. I never wax or dye a coon trap. I am with 223, just wax them. Although you never wax or dye snares.

4. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks guys, but how do you wax them? i use live traps and snares (not aloud to use anysort of foot trap because we have dogs that run free and dont want to hurt them) i put the snares under a fenceline and the traps (3) at the moment (trying to buy more havent scene many cheap ones) any ways, i put the live traps by ponds/lakes where i see tracks... and u mentioned burying the part of the traps? and u also mentioned anti-freeze on the traps? ok well thank you for the help!

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    no need to dye or wax those live traps and only footholds need antifreeze or burying

6. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    ooo thankyou, what bout snares?

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Kevin you can make your own snares for about a buck apiece.
    Check the recent posts for one titled" making snares " or something like that. I give an explanation on making snares from scratch.Its pretty easy.
    You'll want to boil the snares to remove the oil used in manufacturing the cable.

Shhh here is a secret.
    I used to run my new cable through the dishwasher. Don't use scented dishwasher soap.
    Shhhh

I'd generally make my snares in the off season and let them hang outside to weather a little.No need to dye. Wax will cause the snarelock to slip so don't wax them.
    You can then keep them in individual sandwich bags to keep them clean.

best of luck
    just