Dyeing traps

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by yotepeeler, Oct 12, 2007.

1. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anyone else dyeing and waxing traps this weekend ?

I prefer the traditional wood fire and use soft maple bark for dye . Wife uses walnuts yucko LOL . After they are totally dry we wax as well . Being we mainly trap coyote wax works best for us . I tried the cold dips and not real sure on it after a few seasons we are going back ot dye and wax .

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I allways dye mine in logwood powder ,and while my traps are boilin ,my wax is heating . As the traps are very hot when they come out of the dye ,a shake or two to get the drips off and then onto a canvas tarp ,usually before the next batch is ready to be removed from the dye ,last one is ready to go into the wax. Good ole brandin iron heater type torch with propane is my fuel of choice as I can regulate the heat if need be.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i have all together stopped dyeing traps.now a days i just clean them well and wax and go.

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Traps are checked, tweeked, died and waxed seperated and ready to go. Got some new lures and baits to try this year. Been watching some videos and got some more ideas to try out. I am pumped up and ready to go...November 10th can't get here fast enough!

5. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    we used to use walnut husks, we boil new traps and hang them a few days. Then we boil in the walnut husks and let sit over night, then we'd bring it back to a biol and add our wax, wax stays at the top,then we slowly lift the trap out giving them a coat of wax .

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    the only trapper I knew only used walnut husks to dye his traps.