DVR's have Ruined TV for me...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BKS72, Mar 25, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    OK, the title was a bit deceptive, I LOVE my DVR - I almost refuse to watch anyting that isn't recorded because I hate commercials. I travel a lot for work and find I can't stand to watch TV at the hotel because I don't have TiVo so there's commercials.

Almost as annoying is getting used to satellite and then not having the guide button to tell me what's on or what I'm watching. So in other words, I spend most of my non-working hours when I'm travelling on the BOC. OH MY GOSH, I'M CROSS-ADDICTED TO TIVO AND THE INTERNET AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

I also find myself running out of shows to watch sometimes because if I find a show I like I'll record every episode and can watch an entire season in a couple of days.

Anybody else have a serious TiVo habit?

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Not a TIVO, but the dish network version whatever it'scalled again. Don't watch much tv but I do have almost two months worth of Big Cat Quest waiting for me when I get home tomorrow night! Well, probably won't be watching it until the day after.:wink: That would be a cause for a double barrel load of stinkeye if I rolled in after two months being gone and turned on a fishing show. Don't ya think?:smile2:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, I have the DirecTV version, but it's easier to type "TiVo" than "DirecTV DVR":smile2:

Nah, I think you'd be fine spending your first couple of hours home watching a few hours of fishing shows then heading to the river fishin':wink:

Hey, if you do have them all recorded Ryan said that pic of Cuz, Eric, and me with Eric's 72# made it on there!

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I can't tell you the last time I watched a commercial. I'll even watch my Buckeyes 20 minutes behind to avoid commercials.

I watch the Peoples court at 11:00 pm every night (it is on at 9am in my area)
    commercial free!

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Are you talking about Catfishing America or Big Cat Quest? I was supposed to have been on an episode of Catfishing America (well, my picture anyway) but I don't get the Sportsmans Channel.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    You're right, Darryl, it's Cafishing America, not BCQ - sorry about that.

Shawn, I do the same thing with the Steelers - I can watch a game in an hour or so:smile2: Only thing is I have to eat wings and drink faster that way:roll_eyes:

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    then you may call me a dealer and look upon me as an evil man for I work for the cable company and offer dvr's to anyone looking for a converter for their tv service. I point out to them how the on screen tv guide will make them feel good and cure channel surfing. how they can record 2 channels at once so they dont have to suffer when their spouse wants to watch something dumb which would have made them miss their good show entirely. How their kids cant watch anything naughty if they use the parental controls and how they can order pay per view movies & events if they "wish to" from the confort of their own home, instead of wasting that expense gas to wait in line at the movie store and then worry bout late fees, traffic & check out lines. but just remember ladies and gents this all comes with a price. You have to pay to play and the long hold times for service, refundable security deposit for equipment you most likely will hold onto for many years and 4-8 hr scheduling windows are a heavy toll for some to bear.

But remember this, write down the day you scheduled for. Dont call first thing in the morning to get an eta unless you were given a morning appointment to begin with. If scheduling is an issue, you should request a call first. Better yet dont ask for an eta, you were given a window that you agreed upon. Be there or have another adult be there. Dont leave the kids there to tell mr cable guy you went to the store and will be right back. We wont be, unless you call to reschedule. Best to just come to the office to self install. Its quicker and cheaper. I could go on but I digress....

8. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I can't live with out my dvr.I have alot of shows I like to watch that come on at the same time.Nascar always watch the race 15 min late cuts out most commercials for awhile.Basketball same ways watch them 30 min late and fast forward commercials till half time and use that time for food etc.Sometimes I need 2 dvrs.

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I finally got a dvr like 3 months ago, why did I wait so long??!! I work nights and was missing several shows I like. Can't live without it now...it's great. :cool2::big_smile:

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    You're right, Scott, but as a dealer you should know we can't wait out a FOUR HOUR WINDOW for our fix:smile2:

I love being able to record the 2AM shows on the History Channel or whatever that I couldn't actually get to see. Also, with 2 very noisy kids rewinding a "live" show is the best!

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Great Info Scott! Thanks!!! I've been considering getting it but I'm not sure yet. I tried to Rep you but am out for now...:crazy::wink::smile2:

12. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Tivo or DVR is the greatest. Allows no commercials and you can go to bed sooner and watch the show another day without interuptions. SWEEEEEEEET.

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I agree w/all of the above....dvr is the best that happened to tv except for hd...

14. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have Dish TV but no dvr... can it be added? and for how much? I have the phone + hi speed internet(which in my area, ain't exactly hi speed, IMO) + Dish TV package which runs me $150 +/- per month...

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm not sure what the initial cost is to get the DVR and have it installed, but after that it's like $5 a month - money well spent:smile2: I think their pretty cheap to have installed as well, but I don't remember exactly.

16. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I believe it is a matter of upgrading ur box to one that has a dvr, then paying the monthly fee

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Branden,I dont have dvr,but I cant imagine not being able to click on guide or info :wink:

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Branden, I know this an old thread but I didn't have a DVR until couple months ago. :smile2:

And I just came across your thread.

I agree, the DVR is the best thing that's happen to TV besides HDTV. Our kids have had DVRs for years but I didn't think we'll ever use one. I was dead wrong about that. Our cable only has about a dozen HD channels and lots of times the HD movies that we like are coming on when we're not watching TV. For I now don't like movies unless they are HD. So the DVR is great for catching the movies that we'll miss. Also for the few programs that we watch that have commercials. Wife likes programs like "John and Kate Plus Eight" and " Little People" so I set those up to record the series.

19. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    I have downloaded and recorded all of "The Closer" seasons 1-4, all the Lonesome Series: Deadman's Walk, Comanche Moon, Lonesome Dove, Return to Lonesome Dove and I think there's one more to that.

I watch Law and Order any of them, and I have all the old HBO OZ seasons recorded, and many of those actors moved over to Law and Order.

I don't particularly record from the TV but I manage to get my hands on them.

20. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    cher, that HBO OZ series was awesome, i wish they brought that back:wink: