dvl catsfish?

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by desertcatrat, Jun 24, 2009.

1. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    i know the lake is down but i was wondrin if anyone has fished dvl
    is there blues in there? what species of cats does it hold
    i am lookin into fishin some laakes for bigger cats and ie is my area
    ther lake is very deep and should be able to [roduce some decent cats
    what methods and spots have been productive

thats diamond valley lake sorry

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    DVL has channels and blues. The lake record blue was set not too long ago in the 40s. The lake was stocked with blues during its original development from blues from lake matthews and the dfg. There are some good blues in there just not that time yet for them in the 60 to 80 pound class yet. They are getting their though. I am of the belief that this will be one of the top fish fisheries in the west coast as time goes by.

double digit blues and channels are frequent now. I know quite a few peeps that puts it down at the lake now. You can contact them for tips as they know whats up. While the water level is down the bites been good, but for what I hear is that they be on the move a lot. One spot that is producing Saturday may not be productive the following Wednesday. Cut mackerel is what you want to use and fish it flyline style.i have a few demonstrations on that. The downfall now for DVL is the non use of private boats due to ramp which has kept me away. Plus boat rental is expensive with the exception of the Wednesday deals they have. Its best to roll with a partner and split the cost.

I will be on a mission there soon and may check out the wednesday deal. The panfish fishery there is out of site too plus you can still get trout on the troll and maybe catch some striper boils too. This lake is destined for fame for catfish in the next decade or so. If they can somehow reproduce there that would be special. That fact is not known yet but we will see in the future.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Brian... "catrat" like it has been mentioned... the blues in the lake are going to be big..... My buddy maintaining the fish tanks at BPS talks to the DFG man that was in charge of the stocking and rearing of the fish-stock..

I have been there three times.... all were rather quick trips as my wife and I were camping a distance away, and she wanted to visit the lake..:wink:

So the first one was a "look-see' trip as well as the last one since it was rather foggy that day, and we left to go to the afternoon bite at skinner...

From what I hear, the strippers are along the 'rip-rap" at the dam, and if you got a bycycle... it not to far to the south shore to the flat spot and some trees.... and then the cove which is all straight across from the landing..

Around the south end... sorry for no names... is a cove with a hook to it, and there is deep water there, as well as some "high spots" just west of that....

here is a google if it works right...:wink:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.680085,-116.99542&z=13&t=h&hl=en

or... you could rent a boat...

Good Luck... Bayrunner Ray

4. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    ray youre probly talkin bout rawson covr straight accrss from launch it is a good spot but pressure from bass guys is heavy
    thanks ffor the info
    dcr

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    If you really want to get into some blues holla at me around the fall time thru early spring for San Diego area lakes. Lower Otay treated me well this year as well as a buddy. Also irvine lake for the fall. That is if you dont mind the drive though or hooking up halfway to make the run. These lakes put out frequent massive blues and lower otay right now is the number one spot with San Vicente being closed.

6. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thats the one brian... and you are right ... seen the boys using nets to get the shad there... so, on the outside, and again on the flat side outside.... from what I've heard... good trees summerged and like the reports say... good channels... might have to go deeper for the blues....

Might get down your way the end of this week... Yuma canals...

Bayrunner Ray

7. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    blue ,dont threaten me with a good time,i'm crazy fishin no mission too tuff
    i am very interested in big blues.... and flats!i will have my little jon by then easy, would that work out there? i know u have a nice rig but the fish dont care, youll just b more comfy than i,lol
    i read a lot on those lakes and that is why i thought of dvl,it is 45 mins from me, irvine 1 hr 15 mins w no trffic
    my folks live in o'side
    well get in touch,im down to learn some,always up for that

8. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    ray me and mangles will be down in iv this weekend fishing tha alamo and such,gotta top 27,i feel reel good about it, got lots of good bait holes and some new spots
    pm me an ill give u my number if u want,never hurts

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    The blues are here I love going after them just look at my name. Lol. As far as the boat it will work there. They rent boats at those lake similar or smaller than the jon boat. My boats ok I just have a few more things to make it all G. I do love my new fish finder on it though now I can really hunt those blues down. I am looking to bust that state record so I definitely have some plans in it. Lol.

10. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    you
    re too modest ,i saw your rig,anyways however it happens im down,curiosity, what ff did u get?

11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Going to pass that way today... Thur.. going to visit Gary "tofish" and fish some canals etc in Yuma... Gary and "Tailgunnner" Russ will be doing the Brawley area and Alamo down the line, and I'll plan on being there as well.... Kind of "spookie" out there on your own at night...LOL..

Bayrunner Ray

12. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    spookie,tell me bout it
    last trip i went solo,creepy except for the 27 i caught