Dutch Oven.....for camp cooking

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by slab-happy, Feb 24, 2008.

1. slab-happy

slab-happy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    About the Dutch oven. I had seen on TV before a Cajun chef using couple these that has got my interest. From desserts to the main course, he was putting out some damn good eats. @ around $50.00 each was more that I was willing to spend until recently I found them on clearance for $25.00 each. they were 6 quart, pre seasoned cast iron and made in the good o USA. I bought two.

Does anybody else use these?

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The trouble with any new cast iron pots/skillets/dutch ovens is the surface. It seems rougher than the old cast iron skillets.

Ebay is a good source for used cast iron and alluminum cookware. I bought a big alluminum dutch oven off of Ebay for about 26 dollars, shipping and all. I love it for use even in the house when not camping. Great for a large pot of beans.

We have not made any campfire meals in years, as nephews take gas grill and my camper has stove and microwave/convection oven.

One of the best pots of beans I ever made was by campfire. Just put dryed beans, ham, garlic, onions, salt and water in a big kettle, then we went fishing all day. Beans were done when we got back to camp. They just slow cooked by the fire all day. Boy was that simple and good. Now I just let stuff simmer on the gas stove all day when were fishing.

3. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ive eat some grub out of them and man they are the bomb when your out on the banks or the woods where ever you happen to be,id say go for it you wont be mad..

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Marvin, dutch ovens are fun and easy to cook in, there is a learning curve so don,t give up. There is no limit to what you can cook in one, but your imagination. So build a fire and enjoy, it can become an obsession. One hint for success, does not take as much coal's or charcoal brickettes as you might think.

5. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've used dutch oven for years. Cooked everything from stuffed cornish game hens to coblers and cinnamon rolls. A good rule you might want to start with is a charcoal briquette is about twenty-five degrees. I usually go a little more than this but you should have good times and meals with them.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I am definitely not an expert with a dutch oven, but watching one, I noticed that he only put about 8 charcoal briquettes underneath, and 6 or 7 on top.

7. conalj3

conalj3 New Member

State:
    nebraska
    The best tip is to use probably one third the charcoal that you would use for other pots. Sure is nice to come ooo the lake @ have supper done.:roll_eyes:

8. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    There nothing better than cooking in a oven.

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I got one on my stove top right now, been using it for a deep fryer in the off season.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You'll need a trivet, to keep your baked goods up off the bottom...in a pinch, three pebbles will work. Also, look for a round pan that will sit down in the oven, with a bit of room to spare, so heat can circulate.

Trivet+pan+biscuits= a happy camp.:big_smile:

You can bake in a dutch oven on a burner with this setup, too.

11. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have several Duch ovens from 8" to a deep 12". I use them all the time. I love um.....

12. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have 2 lodge DO's. when we go camping everyone expects for me to cook. my family especially like the easy dump cobblers.

13. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    We've made cobbler, cornbread, beans, chili, just about everything in a dutch oven. They are very versatile, and really do wonders for the flavor of the dish.

14. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I have 3, and we use ours all the time. My kids love the stew I make in ours and my wife's biscuits are great now that she has the hang of baking in an DO.

Wouldn't be without ours...

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have a cheap enameled one i use at home. Better than a non-stick. I got rid of them non-stick cookware a long time ago.

16. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Last time I used mine was to cook catfish stew. 4 pieces of fatback fried in the bottom, remove the meat leave the grease. Layer 1/4 inch slices of potatoes, onions (vidalia of course) and then cat fish. Continue layers until the pot is 4/5ths full and the top layer is catfish add water just to the top of the last layer. Add salt/pepper to taste and boil slowly until the potatoes are done. Serve with corn bread or hush puppies.

17. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I love to use dutch ovens, been using them since my boy scout days, many years ago. I really enjoy cooking over a campfire using a tri-pod. I can raise and lower it according to the heat and coils. Lodge puts out a great cook book, and you can also goggle it and find some tips and recipes

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i found one at my wifes grandmothers after she passed away. i love them. i cook right on the woodstove in the shop with it too.

19. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hey who has any large size kettles for cooking large amounts

20. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
    Man O man! This strikes a cord in Ole PB! Dutch oven cook'n is the best part bout camp'n!!!

Here's some corn bread fixen to cook up!!

[​IMG]

Here's a loaf of bread I cooked up in the Bitterroot wilderness last October and my patrol box...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

like that one ole boy said don't give up and keep a cook'n!!!