Dutch Oven Cookin

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Circlehook Jester, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I just had to post this. My Mother has been getting really serious about her dutch oven cooking while we are at deer camp and when she goes to the mountains with my Dad for elk/mule deer. Well needless to say i have been bitten also with this cooking bug and borrowed one of her many dutch ovens. Kinda learning as I go in the back yard right now. But, I think when I fish the bank this year at certain places where I don't have to pack it in very far, I am going to incorporate some dutch oven cooking into bank catfishing. The fire is gonna be there. I always build a fire. Not only would it give me something fun to do while the bite is slow, but also cook up some tasty food for that midnight snack or midday lunch. Does anybody else do this and do you have any advice you could give? I'm all ears. This just sounds fun and good eatin!

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    You can cook about anything in a dutch oven as you can in your home oven,skillet,or pots.

They really come into their own in the outdoors.Charlie made a cobler last yr that was to die for.

They are great to fry fish in and to bake in all in one.

I wish I knew more how to cook in them,I watch cooking shows where they have contest using them and its something what they can come up with to use them for.

The more they are used the better they are.Been around for a long time and are a great tool to use in the outdoors.

3. Circlehook Jester

State:
    Kansas
    I bought a couple of books to get me started. I really enjoy it thus far. My Mom can make a mean pie and all sorts of soups/stews/pot roasts/etc. I'm excited!

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    We will be looking forward to your skills at the June gathering.

5. Circlehook Jester

State:
    Kansas
    I will be at this gathering. And I am going to try and make something in a dutch oven. That is another big reason why I want to get good at it. The gatherings would be a perfect place to do this. :Happy:

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Hi Thad,
    Like Tom said, anything you can cook at home in the oven, you can cook in a Dutch, and there are gozillions of recipes on the internet.
    Just don't use soap on one, just hot water and a copper scrubber if need be. Most of the time you can rinse it out, dry it good, spray it down with Pam, and wipe it out with a paper towel, while its still warm. The worst part about them is storing them. I leave mine in my smoker, even while I'm smoking, if I have room. The smoke adds to the seasoning, keeps them from rusting, and the wife don't bitch about them being in the kitchen cabinet.:wink:

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Like my skillite and hot plate,I just burn them clean and whipe it out. When I was in Boy Scouts we used them all the time and that was how we cleaned them.

8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    if i bank fished or still camped i would have a dutch oven. I would also be good for tailgating-I quit tailgating, as i am busy fishing.
    They cook right on the fire or charcoal. I have used other peoples while camping. They make a mean chili and cobbler.
    You can make almost anything you can imagine in them. Have fun and let us know some good recipes that work good for you.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  9. Circlehook Jester

State:
    Kansas
    That is the one thing I have read about and my Mother grills me on is keeping those things clean and seasoning them well. I have a big cast iron skillet. I try to keep it clean by washing it in hot water and then putting vegetable oil on a napkin and wiping it down good. So far, this has worked. Ray, i am glad you mentioned that about the soap. I have used soap on it a time or two. Luckily, I have not cleaned my new dutch oven with soap yet. :sidefrown::sidefrown:

10. sand rat

sand rat New Member

State:
    kansas
    I do 1840 type rondy voos, shoot and build custom black powder rifles. I started a dutch oven competition several years back at the Kansas voos, and it has taken off like wild fire. The pot luck dinners at the voos on Sat night got kinda lacking in food choices, but after the dutch oven competition started we know have 5 star gourmet dishes showing up for supper.

At some of the rondy voos we have people just showing up for the cooking event. I've had lady spectators stand and watch me cook and cant believe their eyes at what I do with a dutch oven. Several people have watched me and have told me they went home and got out grandmas oven and dug a hole in the their yard the next day built a fire and made supper, said they are hooked. Said they wont camp without one.

Any thing you make at home can be made in a Dutch Oven! The trick is getting the temp right. I have learned to pet or stroke the side of the oven to tell the temp and have gotten pretty good at feeling the temp of the oven. I prefer a camp fire, to the charcoal method. I'm still using the coals, of the camp fire to me they just do better than charcoal.

Just my 2 cents but a Man in elk camp that cant cook isn't worth much. Dont care how well he cooks as long as he CAN cook!

Sand Rat

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Travis I hope your planning on coming to the gatherings this year.:plate::plate::bowl::eat:

12. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Some of my best pans came from garage sales, and looked hopelessly bad. You can put those kind of pans in a self cleaning oven, and just let them burn clean, then re-season them. A quality cast pan that has a good season, is better non-stick than Teflon.

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Ray thats a great tip.I have walk away from some that I thought had no life in them anymore.

I will now be on a mission to buy any I find.

14. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Ray always seems to find the deals at the garage sales. Fishin poles, reels, dutch ovens, yada yada yada.:laugh1:
    When I go all I can find are nick nacks, stuffed animals and books.:angry:
    Ray must get there before me.:laugh:

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    My luck is about the same Kyle.Maybe we need to just put are order in and let Ray go find it for us.:laugh1:

16. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    One mans junk, is another mans treasure.:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

17. Circlehook Jester

State:
    Kansas
    I hear that noise! And I am a junky treasure kinda guy! :laugh1:

18. dolphinshubby

dolphinshubby New Member

State:
    kansas
    fry up sausage or hamburger spicy sausage is best for me drain of all grease 1 or2 cans of rotel tomatoes 1 gallon of nacho cheese all can be found at happy foods on k32 a :waving:bag or 2 of nachos invite some friends and have them bring all the beer

19. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    We like good sized fires at most of the gatherings, we might as well do something productive with the​
    massive amounts of hardwood coals. Somebody bring a shovel with them in April, for example, we can
    shovel some of the ash out of the fire ring at Milford, School Creek, Loop A near where we generally
    cluster the folks fishing from the bank. After we burn the fire for the first day, we can shovel out most
    of the coals, set in the dutch oven and bury it in the coals we put back into the ring. Gotta have that
    shovel, though. Them coals is plenty hot. Hell we got several fire rings to work with there, if we bring
    wood for the fires we could have three or four Dutch ovens working for the Saturday night buffet. I
    love this idea, gives me another excuse to tend a fire and spin yarns waiting for Mr. Whiskers to show
    up.
    Can't figure out how to straighten out this text. Just gonna let it ride for now.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  20. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Flea Markets have been the best place for us to pick them up. Watch the new stuff a lot of it is much thinner or something and just does not give you the correct results as a old time cast pan will. Be careful in what you buy we have seen some places selling vintage cast stuff that is just stuff they have made to look old, I would pick up a book on the old stuff that way you know for sure you are getting A+ stuff.