Dutch Gap versus Osborne Ramps...

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by gweber, Dec 8, 2005.

1. gweber

gweber New Member

I've been using the deep bottom ramp exclusively, it's a decent ramp and you can launch at any hour. Which of the Dutch Gap and Osborne ramps is in better shape? Also, are either of them open between dusk and dawn? Any fees?

Thanks,
    gweber

2. Maximus

Maximus New Member

neither require any fees. Osborne is nice and has lots of ramps. dutch gap in my opinion is just as nice but only 1 or 2 ramps. but i have heard that in the past dutch gap has been know to have some crime around it. i think mainly b/c it is open all night and it is right next to the loud power plant. it is lit up like crazy though. oh...also at dutch gap they have a bad black buzzard problem. they will cover...litteraly...cover your vehicle when you return. so...all in all...we don't go to dutch gap ramp anymore. we have heard that Osborne is only open during the day. hope this answers some of your questions.

Maximus

3. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Sounds like you covered it all, one thing the crime is for real at dutch gap a few years ago we had our vehichle broken into at that ramp. I like osbourne but prefer Deep bottom just up the road from Osbourne and its also free.

4. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    deep bottom:
    has a bathroom, floating dock, 2 ramps (1 is very shallow, both are steep), bait really close, has goats and cats, police often patrol or sit and watch, open all day every day, free

osbourne:
    has a bathroom (not open yet so enjoy the porta pots in sub freezing temps), 2 very nice ramps (4 launches at the same time possible, short slow slope ramps), bait is close or 15 minutes away depending on where the shad are, has no wildlife that i've seen, never seen a cop but its rather unused during the winter (most people launch at deep bottom during the winter), open all day every day (not sure what the gate is for), i've never seen osbourne closed and i know for a fact it stays open at night, free

edited to add: should have read the whole title

dutch gap: plain and simple, crime, buzzards, steep ramp, osbourne is literally 5 minutes away by river max .. its WELL worth that extra 5 minute ride to keep your stuff safe from people and birds

5. gweber

gweber New Member

Thanks for all the great info, I think I'll stay away from dutch gap and just go to osbourne.

Tank, are you sure Osbourne stays open at night? I want to get out before the sun comes up, so I'll need to be in there when it's dark. Also, is there enough ramp at Osbourne to deal with low tide when the river is down? Are there lights out there?

gweber

6. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    well during the summer i launched there during the afternoon and didn't leave until midnight or so

and just this last outting we launched from there at 630 in the morning

if you have any doubts i'd call the fish and game or the county to make sure

i would assume there's plenty of ramp at low tide .. i've never had problems

lights? umm a couple i think .. i know there's one in the pull off area and i'm sure there's a couple more courtesy of the marina

7. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Osborne has 6 ramps total. All are very wide. All very accessible during high or low tide. Tank is right- although the sign is posted as saying that it's open from 5AM till dark, I've never seen it closed ever. Lighting is ok there too. Henrico County has done a lot of work to make the whole facility the best around....

8. gweber

gweber New Member

I think I'm going to give Osbourne a shot based on everything you guys have provided. I like deep bottom, but I want to be a bit further up river.

Does Henrico operate both deep bottom and osbourne? The reason I ask is because deep bottom has one sign that says the area is open from sunrise to sunset, but there is another sign near the ramp that says it is ok to land a boat from dusk through dawn as well. I just wonder if the same is true of osbourne.

thanks for all the info.

gweber

9. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    both are open after dark for ONLY unloading and loading of boats .. if you're hanging out expect some pretty ticked off cops

during the summer at deep bottom at least you'll see a cop sitting there after dark making sure no one is just hanging around

10. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Also yes- Henrico operates both of them.

11. gweber

gweber New Member

Osbourne is a great facility, I used it today. The bathroom is still not open yet, and it's not officially open from dusk to dawn, but if your just launching nobody really bugs you. Launched at 5am came back at 5pm to a packed house waiting to see a Christmas light boat parade. Even still, everyone cooperated with us and let us land the boat and move on out.

12. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    so how many dozen fish did you catch?

see any of the tournament boats?

13. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    GWeber: My wife and I went out yesterday from about 1-4:45pm...didnt catch anything but there were a ton of boats out there for that boat light tour and we also put in at Osborne. We pulled our boat out at 4:45pm...I talked to a guy and his partner in their jon boat that was waiting to get around all that parade mess at the landing- was that you? Might not have been b/c the guy i talked to said he caught huge bass down by Dutch Gap...not catfish...

Brandon and I are going out early tomorrow around 6am...anyone else going?

14. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    If a crazy kayaker wanted to go after some James river cats, in the next month, which of the three ramps, Dutch Gap, Osborne or Deep bottom would give me the shortest paddle to my best chance. I have a fish finder installed. I want to do a daylight trip for the first time out because I might not have a partner to paddle with.
    I am not very good with the cast net from shore, let alone from my yak, so will have to go with frozen bait to start.

Thanks

15. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    If you want to put in at Henricus Park at Dutch Gap you could get bait with the cast net before you launch. The water at the end of the park will be be about 20 degrees warmer from the hot water discharge and there are some decent cats pretty close to launch. Look at a map of the river and you will see an area called the barge pitts and if you anchor up on a flat close to the channels or near structure you will have some luck in that area.

16. gweber

gweber New Member

Bluecathunter, can you post a link to the image of that hog in your avatar?

17. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Bluecathunter,
    Can't thank you enough for the detailed suggestion. That is a great place to start. Now if I can remember how to throw that cast net I bought 4 years ago I will be golden... :confused:
    Has anyone tried one of those plastic net launchers? Looks like a Friseebe with a handle?
    Do you guys try and keep your bait alive until you cut it? I imagine bait taken from warm water discharge and kept in a floating live bucket would die from shock once you hit regular temp water.

Kayakgeek
    :)

18. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    No need to keep it alive. Just put the Shad on ice in a cooler and you'll be good to go. Haven't tried the plastic deal.

I'm interested in Yaking for a big Blue myself at some point. Maybe some time in Jan. The thought of going in the water in the dead of winter is a little hairy though.

Good luck, and pls post a report.

/Scott

19. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I really need to get a Dry top that has the neck and cuffs made of neoprene. Add my breathable waders with heavy fleece pants on and I should be good to go. The great thing about the kayak is your butt is below the water level and this makes it very stable.

One of these "warmer, high 40 - mid 50 deg." days and I am ready to five it a shot.

www.kayakfishingstuff.com has come great articles about yaking in cold weather.