Dutch Gap boat ramp

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by foothills, Sep 3, 2008.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was wondering if there is something y'all do to keep the buzzards off your vehicles when you park at dutch gap boat ramp...last time I parked there my truck got some fairly extensive damage from those freakin buzzards so i was wondering if parking under trees can help or parking in the over flow area helps or even covering your vehicle with a tarp or something??...I am meeting a guide there in october and I would like to get some advice from those of you who frequently park there on how to keep the buzzards off my truck...i truly appreciate any and all advice...thanks.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Craig - No matter where you park on the lot, your vehicle is game for the buzzards. The best way is to not use the ramp. But I see you're meeting a guide there. A tarp is probably the best you can do if you have to use the ramp, but they will eat through that too. Kind of luck of the draw, the many times I've used DG, I think I had one splatter of crap on my truck to show for it. They must not like old trucks, just the new shiny ones.

Good luck btw when you come down! Things should start to get good in October.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Found these pics of the Gap, enjoy!

Attached Files:

• DG3.jpg
      DG3.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
    • DG2.jpg
      DG2.jpg
      File size:
      38.1 KB
      Views:
    • DG1.jpg
      DG1.jpg
      File size:
      51.4 KB
      Views:
  4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Like Josh, the Buzzards never bother my 1996 black suburban. I have only used the ramp three times though. I have seen trucks covered with tarps. Nasty vile creatures are nature's vacume cleaners. I thought VEPCO had the game commission kill 500 or so last year?

5. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    They must stay away from old vehicles, (hopefuly not jixing myself) the rust on my Astro van must not taste as yummy. 277,000 miles and still going strong.

Maybe not as strong, last Sat night we launched from DG and I went up the hill parked the Mystery Machine and the brake pedal went to the floor.

Great way to start the evening.....small hole in the brake line, nice thing to have a guy who owns his own auto repair shop as a fishing buddy. We fished till midnight and limped her home. Good thing he was there.

PS <his shop is in Chester and he works on outboards too if anyone needs help, this guy is honest, in a world of cheats:big_smile:

6. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    we usually go at night, so far haven't had any problems with them...best I can tell you is to go to Osborne Landing...its a long drive, but you'll put in just up river from Dutch Gap.

hope this helps:canny:

7. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    I have fished out of Dutch Gap twice in the daytime and four or five times at night. Luckily, I've never had the buzzards bother my buddy's truck so I've never given the buzzards much thought. I have even seen them sitting in the parking lot and it has never occured to me that they could make a mess on the truck. I guess you're just one of the lucky ones. Tight lines!!!!!!!!!!

David

8. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I heard about them birds last year. Are they still having problems?. I started launching from the hopewell ramp because of them

9. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Man you were lucky that did not happen on the steep ramp while launching the boat. You would not have made 298,000 miles.
    How often do you fish, i cant wait for cold weather to move in

10. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for all the comments and advice on this and i'm still undecided about what i'm gonna do yet to keep those birds off my truck...i talked to a fella that lives here in SC and he fished out of dutch gap last year and the buzzards tore off his windshield wipers...why would a buzzard want a windshield wiper??...maybe if i can figure out a way to electrify my truck so when a buzzard lands on it they get shocked:smile2: