Dutch Gap bait shops

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by messemore, Jun 17, 2009.

1. messemore

messemore New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We are thinking about going to Dutch gap this weekend probably on Sunday.

Does anyone know a a bait shop that sells eels that will be open on Sunday?

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm not sure where your going to be leaving from, so I'm not sure I'm going to be any help. On route 5 in Varina is the Fin and Skin, I'm pretty sure they sell eels. There may be other places. Dutch Gap is on the South Side of the River. You could put in at Deep Bottom and pick up your eels because its not far from Deep Bottom....
    O well, this may help a bit
    Good Luck

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Get your eels at Green Top just off I 95. Its the Elmont Road exit,,,,I think. Follow Elmont to Route 1. Turn left on Route 1. Green Top is 1/4 mile down on the left at the next traffic light.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Both places mentioned above have eels.

You can also try Castaway's, which is right there before you turn down the road to take you to the DG ramp. You can google it for directions.

I'd call ahead to those places the day before to confirm they will have eels as sometimes they sell out, or are out of the bigger ones.

5. messemore

messemore New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks guy I really appreciate all of the answers and how fast I got this reply. Make me proud to be here.

6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah I live 10 minutes from Dutch Gap, Castaway's is right there where you turn to go to DG Ramp as stated above. They always have live EELs $2.29 each or EEL chunks for $3.99 a bag. They do run out of the big ones that look like big Water Mocassins but they always have medium and small ones, just went in there last night they had over 70 live ones. I fish the Appomattox (however you spell it) or the James every weekend and they've never been out of EELs except the one time they left the water on overnight and they all got out the tanks and died, but 10 minutes later the bait truck was pulling up to refill them lol. Very helpful guys with all kinds of good bait and equipment. I've only been living in the area for 1 year now but DG has some big cats. Just started fishing there about a month ago, but I've seen a couple 60+ blue cats washed up on the shore, guess a boat hit them, and theres always someone leaving with one or two 30, 40 or 50lbs every morning on the weekends when I get there. Plus the state record was caught there a about a month ago ;-)

7. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    SIGH.................