dutch gap area

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by ruth, Aug 1, 2009.

1. ruth

ruth New Member

State:
    va
    Wanting to go to dutch gap area on the james river to catch a mess of fish for a fish fry looking for eaters no big ones was wondering if anybody had any good starting places in that area and bait for eating size fish. thanks for any help.

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've never really had much luck there, then again I've only been there a couple time. Too many hangups for me and there are closer places for me to fish. If you're going to drive from Hampton I think your best bet is Wilcox Wharf off of route 5, 618 is the rt #. I think it would be worth the drive and if you don't catch anything you can still hit Dutch Gap.

3. ruth

ruth New Member

State:
    va
    :big_smile:D Allison thanks for the info on dutch gap area. I live about hour and half from there. with all the hang ups it ought to be good fishing. (structure) I have fished alot out of jordan point but not that far up river. always had good luck would like to try somewhere new. just to let you know I dont live in Hampton thats my name. thanks again for the reply.

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Don't know why I thought you were from Hampton...duh I'm brain dead.
    Have fun at Dutch gap

5. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey Ruth how did you do at Dutch Gap? I went today from 2-7, I talked to all the unfamiliar faces I saw, I thought I might meet you. I caught a 15lb blue and a 6lb blue on Gill Heads. Lost 1 on Eel and 1 on Gill head. the one I lost on gill head wow. I was messing around in my bag and heard the bell ring thinking it was just a nibble and my damn 10-foot Penn Combo flew straight to the water, I had to run down into water up to my knees just to catch my Rod but when I picked it up I think the line cut on my bell, cause the line just broke off. Man I think that one was bigger than my PB I caught a few days ago. I was really ticked but I cooled down and caught my 2 fish after losing 2. My spot is pretty reliable for a couple decent fish as Im usually the only person in that area that catches anything more than a pound or two but Im trying to catch that 40lb or 50lb fish now. There's a nice spot about 1/4 mile down thats pretty deep, it drops 8 feet down right off the bank, only fished there twice and didnt have any luck there were too many people trying to fish in the same spot, but its pretty deep there and I hear its some big boys there so Im gonna try it again next weekend hopefully.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    There's a nice drop and a "bowl" on the bottom so to speak right off that pier at Henricus Park.

Also a wreck by that green marker buoy at the corner by Henricus.

Also if you stand on the first ramp at DG and look 45 degrees out to your right, there is a deep hole there, 40+ft.

Also, that entire bank across the river from the DG ramp side is loaded with wooded structure if you can cast across the river right up against it.

7. faw67

faw67 New Member

State:
    VA
    We have had good luck with crickets fishing around most any old pilings catchin eaters 14-18 inchs long blues and flatheads, havent tried up at DG but down river a bit doin good
    FAW

8. ruth

ruth New Member

State:
    va
    Thanks for all the good info on dutch gap area I have not been yet I am planning on going sometime towards the end of August. I am fishing in two tournaments on Buggs Island two weekends back to back. after that is when I am going. The info was very helpful. I will let you all know how I did. Thanks again.:big_smile: