Dutch Gap 5 Dec 09

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by ramon06, Dec 5, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hit Henricus Park Dock at 9am, caught a 5LB Blue within the first 30 seconds :eek:oooh: Dropped a worm in front of the dock to catch a blue gill for bait, tried to lift the worm off the bottom maybe a foot, thought I was hung then line started peeling of my little 5'6" combo, luckily it was raining or I may have needed a fire extinguisher :smile2: I thought maybe it was a striper but it took me 5-10 minutes to get the little bastard up, that fish gave me hell on that ultralight, I havent had a fight like that in years, luckily my 1LB Diameter PP has 8LB strength cause he kept diving to the pillars. boy was that fun. After 30 minutes of trying with no luck I gave up on the live bluegills and put a frozen bluegill head on one of my poles and 15 minutes later I got a 25LB blue. A little after 10 one of my friends rolled up in his boat and we hit the hot water discharge area. Man the water there was 82 freakin degrees :crazy: compared to 48 on the main river, thats almost a 40 degree difference. I got one more 20LB Blue, we had lots and lots of strong hits and good bumps but due to the rain and cold both of our feet were wet, we gave up and called it quits. But I will be back tomorrow with my waterproof/insulated boots. There werent very many boats out today but I was shocked to see at least 6 boats, ahhhhhhhhhh the dedicated fisherman, errr just one of the stupid ones to brave the weather :wink:

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good report, Ramon. I usually hesitate to open a James River thread. I always cringe when I see the bigguns conmin' out of there, and I'm sittin' here five hours away! :wink::smile2: I'll get up there sometime during the cold weather! BTW: Weather does NOT deter 'Team Hardcore'! We catch our best fish in the roughest weather! That Power Pro RULES, eh? :wink:

Bill in SC

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009

3. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah I actually dont like posting anything under 30 or less than 3 fish unless I fish from the bank. These guys keep you on your toes. I know when you come up it will be another memorable trip. True about the hardcore, it really wasnt cold today me feet were just wet and that makes for a miserable day. I had my good boots in the truck and I should've worn them from the jump but they're so bulky and heavy, you know how Army Gear is lol. I didnt have any extra socks with me but tomorrow will be a different story. And Power Pro is the best, Its the only braid I have ever used got 100 on my heavy set up, 80 on 3 setups and 65 on 5 set ups, I use 50 on a few and 25 and under on all the rest. Power Pro should sponsor me I've used so much over the years :big_smile:

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Good fishin' man! Let us know how it goes tomorrow:wink:

5. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I will be interested in going to the james sometime maybe we can get together an make a few days catfish adventure out of it:wink::wink:

6. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for sharing the fish dont have to be 50lbs to be a trophy all blues are trophys to me :big_smile:

7. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Sure will

8. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Im wit it, I love fishing wiyh Fellow BOC members, anytime brother

9. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Congrats Ramon! I'm stuck inside decorating the house for Christmas. Was to get after them!

10. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Ramon,
    Congrads on the fish brother. It's been 14 days since my fishing trip, they have me in straps right now to control the shaking (not really) lol. Gonna hit the river at least one day next week but mite be callin ya cause Kenny will be in Detroit.
    Talk with ya later on. Good luck tomorrow dress warm cause its gonna be one cold mofo.

11. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Damn yeah they must have you strapped, I dont think you've went 14 days without fishing since I've known you :crazy: yeah you can hit me up, my co-worker owes me 2 days case he's been in mexico since thursday while I held down the fort :smile2: Yeah Im ready I'll be hitting the bait pond at around 7:30 and go to the dock at 8, hopefully It will be a good day on the water. No forecasted rain so I should be fine with just cold

12. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nice fish ramon. I also fished sat. morning and the weather was pretty much miserable. but it was definitely worth it i caught my pb blue. no scales in the boat but the fish was around 40lbs. my avatar is the fish. we fished from deep bottom and saw a couple of other boats heading up and down stream. Crazy people like us in the cold. The wind picked up about 11:00 so we headed in.

13. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Congrats on your PB Blue