Dutch Gap 11-24-09

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by screamnreels, Nov 24, 2009.

1. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Keepitsimple, Leftenant, Taknitz and myself made a trip to the mighty James today for a little cat action. Bait was tough but after a couple hours or so we managed enough bait for what turned out to be a pretty good trip. We ended the day with 13 fish averaging about 17 or 18 pounds with the largest at 24lbs and three 20 pounders and the rest in the upper teens. As normal the big ones always gets away. I think the fish are starting to school up now as when you find them you catch three or so then move to another spot, all fish caught today were caught on the edges of the channel leading to thirty feet.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Did you see bait concentrated where you were fishing and catching fish?

3. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Those guys got me to fish the the James bathtub. I can see why big cats are caught often there. We had a good time and would go again. I'm still dedicated to bringing the record blue back to Buggs where it should be. Tougher water to fish but be worth it. Anybody can catch fish in a bathtub :smile2:

4. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Kenneth, we saw birds but they were not diving on any bait.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Did you see clouds of bait on the Sonar that was hanging on structure. I mainly fish the Winter and early Spring when the water is pretty cold. When the water gets really cold, the bait seems to bunch up tighter in bigger schools. Without seeing gulls, I usually motor around to my different spots and if I see a wall of bait underwater, I fish it. No bait,,,,I keep moving until I find the bait. Two winters ago I think every baitfish in the James was on the North BAnk of the Deep Bottom Loop from the Tresspass Pit all the way down past Curles Neck Mansion. That situation lasted almost two months The big cats were there with the bait the entire time. When the bait moved,,, it moved downstream to the south bank from the pumphouse all the way down to Presquille. That was a good winter of catching.:big_smile::big_smile:

I love fishing in a bath tub! :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  6. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    We marked some bait but not any big schools, we are still in the learning stage. I love fishing the James, it makes for really long day though.. One of these days we will get right im sure. I'm using power pro 65lb and it has caused me to loose several large fish due to breaking when I set the hook, I'm kinda loosing faith in this stuff. I'm thinking I got a bad spool.

7. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I use 65# Stren Superbraid and a two foot flourocarbon leader...it doesn't break...I could tow a boat with it. It may be time for you to respool. Also, if you're using circle hooks, there is no need to "set" the hook...just tighten the line on the fish and raise the rod to fighting position...you are already hooked up. Hope this helps.

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the report Chris!

9. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Hope everyone has a happy thanksgiving.

Chris

10. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    It coulda been "user error" on the knots.:smile2:

11. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Don't think it was user error, you even tied one that broke on a fish.

12. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

Bluebruiser@Jmestwn New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The James river had monster fish long before the vast population of blue catfish we see today.the history alone makes every trip an adventure,then 50lb + cats,and who knows you might even hook into a monster sturgeon or something you never know...I have to say I love fishing that bathtub too.:big_smile: Im sure Buggs is cool too buh!

13. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I remember reading about Sturgeon so thick you could walk across the river on their backs. Runs of shad that fed entire Armies. :roll_eyes: