Dusting

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Kutter, May 28, 2008.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Every year, the rabbits kill off my bean plants. I learned a couple of years ago, that they will not eat on the plants after I put "Sevin" on them. However, any rain or even heavy dew will wash the Sevin away. Thus, I am out there quite often, dusting the plants. There has got to be a better way to dust them other than just poking a hole in the bag and sprinkling the dust over the plants.

Is there another way? I don't mind the work, but the wasted Sevin is hard on the wallet. I have 2 rows 70 ft long. I tried the little spray can style, but it seems made for liquid and doesn't work with dust.

Please, spare me on spraying water laced with hot pepper, the rabbits love hot pepper on their beans. Soap is almost as bad.

Dust is all I have found that will work.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    tom, i started using a reusable carpet and odor eliminator bottle for my dust. the stink beetles love eating my zuchinni and pumpkin vines. this allows setting the flow on the top with a twist.

lmao. ya the hole in the bag got me thinking too. this was my solution.:wink:

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A bottle like a big salt shaker works good

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use liquid 7. They use to sell dusters though. Has a pump like an old fly spray can use to look like?

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Tom,I use a 24" chicken wire fence around my garden,No dusting /no bunnies either. I roll it up and re use each year till its too frayed an get another roll at Lowes.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Liquid 7 is the way to go.
    Buy a cheap sprayer you can dedicate to Sevin.
    Cheaper too. You mix alot of Sevin out of a bottle.

Not only is it good for spraying in the garden, I spray the whole yard with Sevin a couple of times a summer and around the house foundation.

7. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Hey I use seven dust on my garden also. But here lately, I have been getting these little green worms that burrow in my squash, zuchini, and cucumbers. They burrow inside the vegtable and in the vines. They fill the stems and vegtables with yellowish white eggs killing everything. Does anyone have any ideas??? I need help.

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For bugs on squash/pumpkins/tomatos/potatos/beans/gourds/every plant I use liquid bug killer. 1 tablespoon per gallon of water in a hand pump sprayer. Kills them deader than hell. Good for 2 months and it's only about 10 dollars a quart at Lowes/Menards/Walmart. Supposed to kill 120+ insects, it works great.

I just sprayed a bunch today, Good Stuff.