DUSK or DAWN

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    What do you think is better for the flathead bite?

I am used to the early bird special where I start around 7PM and quit about 2AM. Rarely do I ever make an all nighter. I am intrigued about how some preach about the 3AM to dawn bite. I may wanna do some role reversal this year where I go to bed, wake up at 1AM and get my rods out by 2AM and fish until after dawn.

2. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Were i fish i find between 4am and 7am and from 5pm to 11pm great.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    When I fish for Flatheads I always fish from dusk until dawn. Overall, I guess I have done better during the dusk bite. But...I always have the most confidence between 2:30-3:45 am. I have done real good during that time frame. Even though my PB was caught ~7 am, I generally don't do as good after 4 am. I guess you never really know...

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like to fish the A.M. bite myself. even on all nighters it seams I catch more flatties in the morning. I usually try to be setup by about 3 A.M. till sun up. It seams to me that most of my biggest flatheads are caught between4 to 6 A.M...

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We usually fish all nighters and have caught them at all hours of the night. I have had my best success around 9-11pm. Also seen some good ones caught just before daylight. So I say....all-nighters is the way to go!!!!!:cool2:

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i like ta get to the river about an hour or two before sunset and stay until i'm out of bait, i found the best bite was a half hour before sunset, and would last a couple hours then pick back up around 11 pm. its seems that the bite lasts a couple hours then shuts down for a couple hours and so on, but that half hour before sunset is prime

7. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I used to think that Dusk was the best time of day, but it seems in the last few years i'm catching bigger and better fish at Dawn. There's something magical and mystical about daybreak.

8. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    The picture of me here is with a 28# flathead caught @ 4:20 am. It was father's day 3 years ago. My son had to wake me up because he heard one of our bells ringing. The shore was covered with broken concrete to halt erosion and I hap told my son to reel the lines in close to the shore to see if a cat would come close to the rocks in search of food since the wind was blowing in to the shore.:big_smile:

9. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    My best time is from 10pm-midnight. Most of the spots I fish seem to be travel routes and it seems to me that those 2 hours are when the most fish are moving through. My most productive area is on a pretty wide stretch of river and the flats seem to lay just out of casting range (when bank fishing). I usually fish for channels from the time I get there (around 7pm) until they stop biting around 9-9:30. This is usually when the flats are moving from their daytime areas out to feed. It almost like clockwork; give it about 20 minutes after the channels move out and then get ready! One of my spots is at the mouth of a creek and the flats move up the creek to feed. About 3-4 hours after they move up, they come back out into the river and prowl the shallows up to the next creek mouth. I can usually pick up another 1 or 2 when they move out. Then I pack up and head up to the next creek mouth. For some reason they always seem to hit the southern creek first and then move to the northern creek. Ive picked up some in the morning around 6-7 moving from the northern creek back into the daytime areas, but never from the southern creek in the morning. One of my other more productive areas, there seems to be a more circular feeding pattern. They start around 9pm and go for about an hour, then about 2 hours later they come back. This continues most of the night.

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    All night is the way to go. I've caught big Flatheads from 5:00 in the afternoon till 8:00 in the morning. I would say most of our big Flatheads hit from around 1:00-4:00am though.

11. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    yeah I agree when the sun goes down and all the vampires start to roam seems like the flats turn on then. dusk til dawn works for me.

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds just like me -
    I usually fish from around dusk until about 2 or 3 AM. My best bite seems to be from around dusk until about 11 or 12. I have always heard good things about the dawn bite, and have done the all nighters a few times, but have never caught a flathead around dawn!

so for me - DUSK!

13. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would like to say between 230 am an daybreak has been good to me.Staying out all night really payed off for me this year!All the trouament
    guys would have a low catch rate .When they would go back to weigh in at 200am.An I seem to do better than them.

14. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I'll go with dusk all night works too as long as I can fish I'll fish!!

15. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like dusk because it's like a guaranteed bite for the most part. You never know what you'll catch.

16. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    In recent years I seem to have more success in the early morning 4 to 8 am. I still go at sunset and fish into the night but the all nighters I usually don't do much anymore...guess I'm getting old or lazy or both. :tounge_out:

17. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    In my expeirience the dawn bite was drasticaly better

18. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I like to fish all night, but I think the bite between 8pm and 11pm is the best.

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    those are prime times here also at around 11pm ebverything seems to stop for an hour or so then the bite starts again .

20. flatheadfan11

flatheadfan11 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello,
    I'm new to the forum. I fish for flats and channels primarily on the lower Rock River in Illinois. I have a great spot during lower normal to lower level water conditions that I believe is more of a daylight resting area for big flatheads. Most every time I arrive in the early hours 4 am to around 8 I struggle to get bit. By 11 am I am usually onto fish. My theory is that these brutes cruise the nearby flats in swifter water and rest in this particular hole. When they return and find an easy meal for the taking sitting in their favorite resting place they cant refuse the quick offering. I have caught large fish in this hole from 11am to 6pm some times on the hottest days of the year. I have also noticed that a furious bite will take place right at dusk, right as they are reviving themselfs for the next night of crusing the flats. Anyone else have a hole similar to this?

Attached Files: