Durango Panfish Pole

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by loppdawg69, Aug 16, 2007.

1. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 New Member

State:
    California
    I was trolling my local walmart when i came upon a $7 panfish pole made by shakespeare. It's a 13' telescopic pole with one small eyelet on the tip, and thats about it. looks like a walking stick when packed away. I bought it for shoots and giggles, but i cannot find anything about it online. Its model DTSP 13 13'0". Anyone ever seen this or used it? If yes, what are the brass medal parts on the handle used for?

2. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 New Member

State:
    California
    Pictures of said brass...things.

Attached Files:

3. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    If I am not mistaken they are there to wrap your line around when not in use.

4. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    You are correct, line and hook will be wrap on these 2 while not in use. Have used crappie poles like this many times.

5. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the insight. I don;t know why that didn't cross my mind.

How have they worked for you?? Seems basic but fits the bill!

6. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    they are there to wind up the line on thanks sam davis

7. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I bought a close out on those 10'Black Widow, fiberglass canepoles, at walmart. they were $1.00 each and my grandkids love them to catch perch.

8. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 New Member

State:
    California
    Im going to give it a shot this weekend, had to buy a second one though. My girlfriend likes to fish, but doesnt like the cast and wait method. I think she has ADD. =)

9. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    We use these in Florida for crappie, moving from hole to hole. Ours are 16' works good for those hard to reach places. Watch out when you get a big fish . Lots of fun.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I know that most already know most of this,but it may help some.There are two ways that I know of to attach the line and use these poles.Most just tie the length that they wish on to the eye at the tip and use like a old cane pole.When you collapse it you wrap the line around the line holder on the butt section.The other way is to run a line through the eye on the tip and tie it on in a tight loop around the line holders where it will not come off and then wrap as much as you wish around the line holder.You then let out as much as you wish and you can use it somewhat like a fly rod for reach and even cast.Use the poles flexibility to learn to "sling shot" your bait into holes in the brush and you now have a whole new ball game!With a fish on your pole the line will bow the pole and it will be shaped much like a Bow used to shoot arrows with,but works quite well if you take the time to learn to use it like this and the conditions are suitable.I have used poles like yours since the 70's in lengths up to 20 feet.Some are hollow and made to run the line up through the pole and attach a simple type reel to the bottom of the pole.I also have them in assorted lengths to 20 feet with guides and reel seats for putting reels on.These have been very popular in Asia for many years.The manufactures claim that they can be used with spinning and casting reels.I prefer to use these with open faced spinning and trigger spin reels.They can become addictive.I have 7 like yours in assorted lengths to 20 ft.and 9 with the guides and reel seats to 20 feet.The brands of mine are "Shooting Star,Zebco and BnM.I also have the BP's Wally Marshell line sectional take down rods in 12,14 and 16 foot lengths in assorted line weights.I also love a cheap fly rod with a spinning or spin cast reel for small cats and pan fish.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.

11. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    After a bass broke my 40 year old cane pole, I was in distress I looked all over for another 1 piece "natural cane" and got skunked!!! I headed to "chinamart" and bought exact set-up as you describe the are wonderful!!

12. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    That's pretty much the way it is anymore, isn't it??? Just about anywhere you go and no matter what you're going for... Bummer...

13. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Sorry... I'd bought one of those Durago panfish poles for a bait-catcher some time back but haven't actually used it yet. Thought I'd take it down to the pond sometime before too long and catch some bait.

For rigging up I extended the pole, tied the line off to the lowest brass 'tab', wrapped it around the brass tabs about 10 times or so, spiral wrapped the line around the pole about 6-8 times towards the tip, and ran the line through the tip-eyelet, and cut the line about 10-12 feet past the tip.

Dave

14. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 New Member

State:
    California
    So i got a chance to use it this weekend, and with the advice and tips from the site i had GREAT results! It allowed me to reach into those holes that i could never access before. I caught so many gills that i lost count and even a 1lb largemouth (yeah, for a smaller sized fish that sure was a crazy little fight, no way to reel it in) Great pickup for a mere $7.