Durable Castnets

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by mbill, Jun 1, 2008.

1. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Ok everyone I need a little help finding a durable cast net. I've bought the Wal-Mart stock brand and one other that came in a small bucket and couldn't get them to last long at all with the rocks and sticks I encounter alot.
    So I guess I'm asking in your experience is there a brand that seems to be more durable for all of you than another. I have checked Catfish Connection and the one that says old Salt seems to say the most but what do you think? Thanks to all of you for any help and advice you give :wink:

2. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    there are a lot of nets , sizes, prices and brands, i`ve never owned a high priced net but i plan on buying an name brand net in july. i just tore another hole in our 8ft. net last weekend, something maybe a log or stump ,any way i was in mercky water,and came up with the hole. they say the smaller the weave the less they hang up but you need more weight to get the smaller weave to sink. the smaller the weave and the more lead the higher priced the net will be. i`m going to try and 8 ft. betts old salt next time and see how they work. i figure they too will tear up but i hope that the better net will catch bait quicker which will reduce the amount of throws, reducing the chances of getting hung up. some say the blackpearle cast nets are the very best but they are very high as well, you can check them out on their web site .

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The higher quality nets are a little more durable than the cheaper ones but will still tear. If you are using your net in hangy type places I would stick to the cheap ones. I think there are some articles in the library on repairing a cast, Try the following link. net.http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38869

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I've been using Lee Fisher Baitbuster nets for the last year or so, along with some of the cheaper nets. The Baitbuster nets are made from heavier material and have more weight to sink fast. They also are more expensive than the el-cheapo nets, around $80 plus shipping for an 8' radius, 5/8" mesh net.

Sounds like a lot of money, I know, but I also have found that I'll destroy 3 or 4 cheap nets for every Baitbuster. So in the long run, it's probably cheaper.

You can buy them direct from the manufacturer on Amazon.com - just search for "Lee Fisher Bait Buster"...

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Try pulling your net in sooner and not letting hit the bottom in snaggy areas..
    There are some place I throw (damn face, full of huge rocks) where I pretty much have to start yanking it in right after it hits the water..

You may not catch as much bait per throw, but your net will last longer....

6. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    i have to agree with mr t on this one the baitbuster nets are very durable i also use a excaliber extreme it is a 11fter with 1.9lbs per ft these are also very durable

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If it won't tear,you have to go in after it or lose it!

I have gone into and under Saltwater many times in my 63 years to save nets hung in shell and barnacle encrusted logs.When wading and casting for Mullet and such,you are already in the water.When casting from a boat,it is more difficult.As I shrimped for 4-6 hours steady as fast as I could cast according to wind and tide,I stayed wet.The bonded Nylon nets did not cut as bad as Mono but cut worse than the old Sea Island Cotton nets.

A precut,stiff,cured and sealed Y shaped stick of the proper length for your casting depth will often save a net!The ends of the Y should only be about a inch long and should be small enough in diameter to easily go into the mesh.Make the ends of the Y too long and it causes problems.It can be waterproofed with car wax and will float.You need a wrist string.

You can also make one from 3/8" or 1/2" SS tubing and a bent U shaped piece of SS welding rod.Stick the U end in the tubing and spread the ends into a Y.Beat the end of the tubing shut on it.File it! NO SHARP EDGES!You can put glue on it to protect the net. I put a tubing fitting on the opposite end to hold and you are ready.A 21 foot length can be cut in 3 pieces and be joined by unions to make 7,14 and 21 ft for un hanging bottom rigs from boats.

By pushing down and out on your snagged net,you can save many a tear.Twirling it will wrap your net around it.It will not always work,but will work often enough to be well worth while.It will also un hang and save many a casting plug,Crappie and bottom rig as will a notch in the center of the blade of a paddle or oar that you can slide down the line.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well I have a Fitec net that has lasted me over a year now on the missouri and kansas rivers. Do not know how many times I have got it snagged only to get it back. Sure it has had a couple holes in it but nothing that some mono could not patch up. Plus I could not count the numbers of large carp I have landed with it.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    We have a lot of sharp shell on everything in saltwater.

I wonder how these Zebra Mussels affect a cast net and minnow seines.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Just wanted to say Thanks to all you guys for the great advice and information, looks like I'll be using both the cheap ones and one of the more expensive ones depending on where I am castnetting. Besides looks like the additional weight I can get by buying the $80.00 ones will improve my catch rate in the streams when I flush the larger chubs from their lairs (had some swim out from under the light ones.
    Thanks again:big_smile:

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You might also consider the Fitec SS-1000 "Pro Series" -- that's the one Josh (crazy) has and I got to take a look at it last night. Similar construction to my Bait Buster but a few bucks cheaper. So I ordered one.

Try www.catchnbait.com for both the Fitec and the Bait Buster.

12. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Hey thanks again Mr T I"ll check those out also, I"m familiar with that web site I ordered a trap from there over the winter then later found that it's illegal here in Ohio (go figure ehh) anyway be ordering one very soon got some weekends off coming up soon Thanks again and hope you knock em dead this year

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Catchnbait.com is out of the 8' x 5/8" mesh SS-1000 nets at the moment (they called to let me know...) - so I may either go with a 9' version or skip it entirely for now... My 8' Bait Buster is still in good shape and I've got 2 backup nets that I can use if needed.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    last year I totally destroyed 13 castnets.

I would like to use a expensive one, but the tought of shelling out over 50 bucks for a net that may be toast the first throw is to much.

no doubt the expensive nets are better, but the brush i throw in nothing will last long