Dunkard Ck update

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by DANZIG, Dec 14, 2009.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia

WV EPA WILL ALLOW CONSOL COAL TO CONTINUE PRACTICES - Mine Water Likely Killed All Aquatic Life In Dunkard Creek

(12/11/2009)

The West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection is planning on letting Consol Energy resume pumping coal mine water into Dunkard Creek.
    Officials say that practice had been stopped after a September kill of virtually all aquatic life in Dunkard Creek near Morgantown.
    The EPA says golden algae has killed tens of thousands of fish, mussels and other aquatic life in nearly the entire 43-mile length of Dunkard Creek that goes through Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
    Pittsburgh-based Consol Coal is saying that water in the Blacksville No. 2 mine is approaching critical levels, and it's worried about the safety of underground miners. Pennsylvania officials says pollution, likely from treated mine water, helped the algae flourish, leading to the kill.

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I guess they swept that one under the rug. Now that dunkard creek is done it won't stop them from dumping even more crap in the creek.
    Won't be long and the Mon river will be a waste again.

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    just goes to show you, if you have the cash they will leave you alone... you know tht someone slipped a buddy some cash and the problem went away...

4. SaltDog

SaltDog New Member

State:
    tn
    That is terrible, I used to fish right there where Dunkard dumps inot the Mon when i was a kid.

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I was reading yesterdays paper and it said the DEP is going to let them start putting more junk in the creek starting in Jan.

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    What the hey? The creek is already dead....:angry:

I reckon that is the attitude of the DEP. They, and Consol, need to have the beejebbus sued outta them!

7. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Every regular fisherman of Duncan Creek should get a civil or class action lawsuit started.I am sure some high powered attorney would like to take on Consul and/or the WC DEP.