Dunham's Bluff 7 19 09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Update with a few pics after church. Fished all Saturday night. Had a pretty good time. Put seven in the boat. Here's a double we caught.

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    OK, I'm home now. The club had previously had Dunham's Bluff on slate for our annual fish & camp, but James had a wedding come up that he had to go to. I got my signals crossed and thought we had a local tourney, but it turns out it is next weekend. :embarrassed: Thus, Chris and I decided to hit Dunham's Bluff, and see if any of our group was there, and to fish some. I remembered that Swamprat and Russell had said they were going anyhow. There were several tents up at the bluff, but none were peedeecatmaster members. They were limb lining and rod and reel fishin'. I must compliment them for the way they were running their lines. They put them in about an hour before sunset, and were removing them when we left this morning. I have NO problems with lines run RIGHT! I talked to the folks there, and they were nice folks. Right before dusk, we hit the river and went downstream. Right off the bat, it seemed like we were in for a good night as the fish were biting pretty good. We ended up with seven fish total. Largest was just over ten pounds, and the rest were between five and ten. No hawgs, (well, one I'll show you in a pic) but an enjoyable night nonetheless. All the fish we caught were flatties except one blue. The blue went to flopping around in the boat, and the hook got my finger to the bone, but fortunately the barb did not go in. Chris was keeping a few fish for lake Crisco, and got mad with me when I threw the blue back, but I did so in disgust after getting hooked. The fish was croaking like crazy like blues do, and I felt like he was saying "put me back in". :big_smile: We had several more hits, but impatience caused us to grab rods prematurely a few times. Had a couple more fish of the same size up to the boat and they got loose. Water temp was about 83/84 degrees, and we used live and cut bream and redbreast. Got more hits on live bait last night, but caught fish on both live and cut. The weather was gorgeous and a slight fog permeated the night atmosphere all night, but not to the extent of making navigation hard. The river level was great. I like fishin' Dunham's Bluff this time of year as it has lots of deep curves, and the flatties are on the prowl, since spawning. We stayed up ALL night, and still made it to church. I'm about beat down and will relax this afternoon. Then, I will be back to the river tomorrow with the pastor to dive some more. Perhaps I will fish a little, though daylight fishin' hasn't been producing much lately here on the river. Here are a few pics:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    A couple more pics, including the one hawg!! :wink: First wild hog roadkill I can ever remember seeing.

Bll in SC

Attached Files:

4. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Nice report and nice Flatties.

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    you got a buncha bacon and porkchops now or was it spoiled?

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
  7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Spoiled is an understatement for the hog. It was RANCID, blow flies and such. I can't believe Chris grabbed his ear to hold up his head! He had to pour a whole beer on his hand the re-sanitize it!! :smile2::wink::smile2:

BTW: We haven't gotten on any BIG fish lately. In retrospect, I realize that I haven't been fishing half as much as I did last year, well, due to financial constraints. Like Mickey says, "It only takes one cast, our day will come"! Just being on the river is great therapy, and if I can get there once a week now, I feel blessed! Again, the bite is picking back up now and I look for some "nice 'uns" before too much longer. One thing that is really odd. Time passes like it's in fast motion when we are on the river. Seems like time it gets dark, a few minutes later and it's breaking day. I don't remember time going so fast any other time in my life! "They" say time passes fast when you're havin' fun, and just being on the river is pure pleasure!

Bill in SC