Dungeons and Dragons Online?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Spongiform, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm going to assume that it's somewhat rare for a person to be into Catfishing AND Online Gaming; But what the Heck, I'm bored and have some time to kill! :cool2:

I've been playing the recently released MMO(Massively Multiplayer Online) game called Dungeons and Dragons Online:Stormreach

It's a fun game, if you're into that sort of thing. They've got a free 7 day trial you can download and check it out. It's a pretty big download - around 1.5 gigs so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone using dial-up.

Here's the link -> Free Trial

My friends and I play on the Mabar Server if anyone actually checks it out.

I guess I can answer any questions about MMO's in general or this one in particular - if anybody is interested.

~
    Brian

2. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I don't think it's as rare as you're guessing. I used to be an AVID AD&D player and dungeon master. Get about 6 people together with all the books and such for 2nd edition AD&D and a couple cases of beer one day a week and play for 8-12 hours. As I got older I found it hard to find the time off coinciding whith the other players and with all the adult responsabilities I sorta quit trying to set up wekly sessions cause every week at least one or two (if not more) players couldn't make it. Pretty hard to keep the continuity of the game when each week I'm having to come up with reasons that this character was with the group when they went into the ancient ruins, but wasn't around when they killed the boss monster, etc. Downside of running an ongoing "campaign".

Got into online gaming with Asheron's Call a number of years back, paying $10 a month to run a character in a perpetually updating world. That was a lot of fun, especially at higher levels. got out of it after about a year or so though cause AC was originally supposed to be "the last disk you'll ever buy" for the game, then they turned around and put out an add on disk that you had to buy in order to go to new places in the game world! Ticked me off a bit!

Got into one called Neverwinter Nights a while back and still play it a bit. No monthly fees, and you can build your own worlds and run a game from your own computer as a DM or just run solo or team as a player. It's a LOT of fun. It's only $30 at any store that sells PC games. If anyone has it or wants to get into it, let me know.

3. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am not into online playing but I love a good pc game like Morrowind, Grand theft auto, grand theft auto, SnAndreas, Call of Duty, Ovilian and on and on. I truly hate it when I complete one. I wish they would never end.:big_smile:

4. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I'm a Final Fantasy nerd myself, but my kids play a game online called Runescape. There is both a free version and an upgrade you can subscribe to. I'll have to check out the D&D...thanks!

5. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you've played AC1 and NWN then the transition over to DDO wouldn't be too rough. It uses 3.5 edition ruleset as a base but it has alot of small modifications to fit into a real time action system instead of turn based.
    Same with morrowind - the numbers and names are different - but it's all based on the same stuff in the end. The biggest aspect that's different is the multiplayer - dealing with other people. You've got all different ages, races, and even langauges to deal with sometime. Try playing around 5 am and meet the austrialian and asian crowd :D

It's a bit of a monty haul - but it does fit the world. It's set in the ruins of an ancient civilization of highly evolved giants. So theres a millenium of magical items floating around. Right now the level cap is 10 and sounds like it'll be bumped to 20 in the late summer/early fall.

It's one of the few RPG stlye MMO's that did Rogues very well. They're actually quite fun to play and serve a critical purpose. They're not high damage dealers like a fighter or barbarian but they can lay the smackdown in spurts via sneak attack when they need to.

My main character is a 9/1 cleric/fighter (aiming for 19/1). I play healer, buffer, debuffer and backup melee.

My girlfriend (In real life, she's a boc member too!) mainly plays melee classes. Her favorite in DDO is a Fighter with a highly defensive setup. She can't dish out as much raw damage as a barbarian or damage specialized fighter - BUT she can outlive them by far and in the longrun outdamage them anyway! She loves to be the first to charge in and beat the snot out of some bad guys.

Our two friends who we mainly play with - a guy from Canada(Demon) who plays a Cleric/Paladin hybrid similiar to my guy and our other buddy "Bear" from Oklahoma plays a wizard/rogue hybrid when he's with us.

Alright, enough rambling for one post :D

~
    Brian

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rare?

I don't think so. I missed fishing this weekend because my friends came over and we played D&D (the old paper and pencil type).

I have played:
    Untima Online
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Never Winter Nights
    Planetside
    Am playing World of Warcraft
    Will be playing Warhammer Online

Haven't been on the computer much lately though. Been spending about 30 hours a week or more fishing.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I played DDO Stormreach for months, but got very burned out of it, so I (we) switched back to City of Heros. I found NWN to be much better, but then again it's sort of comparing apples to oranges, as NWN isnt a MMO. Can't wait for NWN 2 to come out. It should be faily soon. I might have to check out the Bio Ware site & see when. in COH you can solo a lot, but in DDO you cant do much solo'ing, thats one reason I left.

To give you an idea I had a +4 Adamantine Half Plate, +4 Great Axe, etc....... a pretty much kick butt Dwarf as well as 4 or 5 others between my wife, my 7 year old son & myself.

8. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    I have played Ultima Online and World of Warcraft. I continue to play Dark Age of Camelot when i have time. <-- DAOC in my opinion is the best mmorpg i have played to date due to the time it takes to reach high lvl and the player vs player combat.

9. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i tried runescape for a while. i gained alot of stuff, but lost it in a player to player battle. a co-worker's son (9 years old) to it on himself to track down the guy who beat me. my own 9 year old online assassin, go figure.

10. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Small and sneaky... Perfect for assissin work! ROFL!!!

As for NWN, there are a handful of people who have created persistent worlds for players to sign up and join, very similar to AC1. In AC1 I played an archer named Armored Saint, and another name Telson. I think I maxed out around lvl 80ish. Had a real good time playing that game and made some good online friends, but I've lost touch with them now.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe we all can hook up & do something w/ NWN2 when it comes out. I thought there was going to be somesort of multiplayer option from what I heard.

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    We used to make fun of those kids in high school that played D&D !! LOL But seriously, I havn't played a video game in 20 years but my wife has this game you mensioned.. MORROWIND. and the ELDER SCROLLS, It's awesome!! I reccomend it. hehe!
    :embarassed:

13. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I bought NWN the day it came out. A friend of mine online got it the same day. He set up a server hosting the game and the two of us would meet every day after work to play. I played from West Virginia and he was in California I believe. Took us about two weeks to go through the entire campaign playing like that 4-5 hours a night.

He played a gnome wizard and I played a cleric/fighter combo. Between quest's we would duel it out in town and man that was some fun.

I would run every possible protective spell I could use. Spell Resistance, Protection from Elements, Stoneskin(he had magic domain), Death Ward, Bless, all the good stat buffs and all that good stuff.

Wizards get pretty much the same things - except for deathward. There was two ways to win the fight. A: wear down the other person's protective shields as they only can absorb so much then blast the crap out of them before they could renew them. Or use dispelling magic to drop the shields outright - but that was kind of hard to do. Between Spell Resistance and high DC checks on the dispels.

His wizard had way more offensive power then my cleric - but my cleric could heal himself to full health 6 or 7 times easily. And I could always go melee and smack him around some too. Can't forget summoned pets either - we both had a whole slew of critters we could throw at each other. Elementals, Animals like tigers or bears - I even had a pet demon I could summon - but he was more for show then fight. Either one of us could blow those pets apart - but they did make a handy distraction for a few seconds.

So give me a yell when NWN2 is on the horizon mellon and we'll get a server up and get a group going. I ran through NWN1 and it's expansions with my girlfriend and she absolutely loves them.

anyway I'm rambling :D

DnD is a great game for kids to play. It teaches them to use their imagination - learn to read and learn math. Something kids these days are highly lacking in. Most of the formula's used in DnD are basic algebra equations. And there's alot worse things kids could be doing then :p

14. AllenM

AllenM Guest

No reason we can't play NWN1 for now, and then get into 2 when it comes out. Let me know if you guys want to give it a run.

I always got bent outa shape at the "demon posessed kids go crazy from playing D&D and eat school teacher!" type crap in the news. No different than the accusations aimed at musicians about kids who killed themselves "because of that song!" It has never been the games or the songs that drove anyone to any of these things... Those poeple (kids) were depressed or psychotic LONG before encountering either the music or the games, and people just used them as a scape goat rather than accept the fact that mommy and daddy were not paying attention to what their kids were doing for the past couple of years and never saw the signs of what was coming!

15. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Reminds me of when I first got into DnD as a kid - a girl I knew told me it was evil and bad and she hated dnd. So I asked her why - she say's her friend killed himself because of DnD. Being curious I asked for details. Turns out he had severe serious mental conditions - and was drinking and on several hard drugs at the time.

Oh well, he's a nut and on hard drugs - must be the game he's playing!!!

:/

Like Allen said - it's all about wanting to blame something or someone else.

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    did ya' know that on Morrowind there is a "god mode" but from there you can use a cheat code or codes to up your powers on all your weapons and armour. If your interested PM me.

17. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Actually - if you're looking for cheats, information, walk throughs - or stuff like moves/combo's for console fighting games the absolute best place is Gamefaqs

They've got virtually every game ever made on every system. I'm not a big fan of cheat codes - mostly because I find it boring - but some games are just hard to figure out or you don't have the time to fiddle around with!

Great for those games like mortal kombat to get a full list of all the moves/combo's and stuff like that too.

~
    Brian