dumb towing question

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by poopdeck [patrick], Oct 30, 2008.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I figured you guys would be the one's to ask. I have a 1978 fiberglass 17 foot ranger. It is kinda of a heavy boat. Could I use a regular two wheel drive truck to pull it up and down the ramp or would I need a 4 wheel drive. Theres a guy trying to sell me a straight 6 ford pick up and I want to make sure it can handle the job.

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I have a 24 foot SeaArk, and I pull it with a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup. Unless the ramp is muddy, I rarely have to use four wheel drive. I think If my truck had a full time posi rear end, I wouldn't have to use it at all. Id just make sure you got some good tread, and you'll be fine, especially if you use the Flamm Ramp alot. The only iffy ramp I know of around here it the Truman Ramp. That thing gets really muddy.:wink:

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    See if he will let ya drive the truck and hook your boat to it and see, if he really wants to sell it to ya, he should have no problem letting you make sure it will work for what you need..........

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    it will pull it but as gary said you would want to watch it on muddy ramps.

I think if you use a little common sense before you back down a ramp you should be fine.

5. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    My brother in law told me the ford staight six is a gas hog. I been looking a round "ebay and craigs list" for a old truck to pull my boat but I do not want a gas hog. Would a smaller truck pull it. What should I look for?

6. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    We have had a numerous trucks with the 300 inline 6 and they get decent mileage. My fullsize bronco got 15 or so with 150k miles on it.

7. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I have a 19ft Ranger and I tow it with a ford explorer v6 with no problem at all.You would want to have 4x4 if you fish in the winter on icy ramps or real muddy ramps other than that you should be fine with 2 wheel.

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    if its a 300 strait 6 thats one of the best ford motors thear is and thay are good on gas as well :cool2: thay are a stout motor if you are lucky and its fuel injected its even stronger and even better on gas