Dumb question

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by tigger_tat_55, Mar 21, 2007.

1. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    I have this silly idea that I may take my 16 jon to one of the bays in cali to fish this summer. the wall in longbeach has my intrest at the moment.

the question is...... should I get a different boat or will the this one do the job if I stay in the bay?? it is a 16 jon with a 50 hp outboard.

thanks

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I don't see any reason why It shouldn't work just fine inside the break-wall.
    I do recommend to anyone who boats on the salt to carry a VHF marine radio. You can keep track of changing weather conditions and if you should suffer engine failure you can contact the coast guard or vessel assist to keep you off the rocks or from being pulled out into the open ocean during tidal shift. A hand held radio is inexpensive insurance, make sure you have good batteries before you go out, and you may want to consider a prepaid tow like Vessel Assist or Tow Boats US, they can save you hundreds of dollars if you need help.
    I am an experienced ocean boater and own a 24' sport-fisher that I use around the local waters and out to the Islands.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

I believe that Tom has said it the best that can be explained... However.. you must understand that there is no speed limit within the inner waters, and the waves at times can be threating to say the least... launching out of Alamitos or 2nd street launch might be better than the Cabrillo launcing as it is closer to the big ships and shipping.

Bayrunner ray

4. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    thanks for the imput. I will get a radio befor I give it a try.

is the vessel assit costly? I am going to try to do this in late may If the boat makes it thur the az/cali gathering.

5. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Vessel Assist costs about $120 per year for my boat but that is for coverage up to 50 miles offshore.
    For your boat it would be less. You can check it out here.

http://www.boatus.com/towing/guide/services.asp