Dumb question about baitcasting

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by veryama1975, Jan 16, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I'm getting a new catfish outfit: abu reel, new rod. I've never used a baitcast reel before & everyone says it takes some getting used & some snarls to untangle.

My question is: Does anybody know of any good instructional videos or books on how to use a baitcaster? Or is this just one of those things you gotta learn on your own? I don't know anybody who uses a baitcaster. Most everbody I know uses spinnning reels.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    :0a18:

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am not sure Matt. But I pettry much talk myself how to throw a baitcaster. with the help of the BOC!

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't know of any videos, but don't be afraid of the new reel. People will probably chime in and tell you how to adjust the spool tension at first so you don't backlash too much, and that'll help. The biggest thing is to keep your thumb so that it is just barely touching the spool (or almost touching it) during the cast, and then use your thumb to stop the spool as soon as the bait hits the water.

Since it will prolly still be a bit chilly for fishing when you get the new outfit, just tie on a sinker and go out to a field (or the the lake or river) and practice casting some. You'll get the hang of it in no time!

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Matt,Start by adjusting the brake so that the weight will pull the line off the spool and stop turning when it touches the ground,with the rod at about waist level. and at a 90* straight out in front of you angle . Then cast away ,applying a bit of thumb pressure as the weight makes contact at the end of the cast. Its easy ,and you'll get the hang of it in time ,just practice.

5. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    welcome to the BOC i've found out experince is the best teacher just go out an practice you will get the hang of it. if you do have any questions after you try just ask there is a lot of knowlage on this site.

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am new to it as well, and found heavy weights keep it from spooling uncontrollabley and birds nesting.

I have 2oz sinker on it and I have not had any real problems. Hard part is to make sure you keep your thumb on the line as it spools out. If you pop your thumb up at any time during the cast, you are in trouble.

Adjusting the tension knob also helps. Hold the rod up and let loose the weight. It should move slowly.. keep adjusting the tension knob until it does so. That will help keep it from spinning faster on the reel than the bait being cast. I think that will help you out quite a bit.

Like I said.. I am brand new with it as well.. and so far this has helped me out quite a bit. Good Luck

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Matt,
    Load the reel with the line you intend to use. Start slow with the tension knob a little tight, a large weight and short distance. Get the "feeeeel" of it and how adjusting the tension knob stops the spool form over speeding. Don't worry about the brake blocks or thumbing the spool yet. Build up your distance gradually still using the large weight.
    The larger weight will allow you to "lob" the cast rather than "whip" it. It's the whip that will accelerate the spool and give you the birds nest. As you go for increased distance the "lob" becomes less and the "whip" increases.
    Unless you are doing this practicing on the water ignore the strange looks you will get from people passing your yard or walking in the park!!
    ...W

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I wish I could type faster, by the time I got it all written down you had received a bunch of info...W

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Get out their and practice, use the weight you normaly would fish with. As more or less weight will affect the cast, also some lines will work better than others as I am finding out on my baitcaster for catting. My lure fishing pole with a smaller baitcaster is no prblem at all casting can real zing it out there, now the bigger one took more getting use to. Trial and error.

10. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    the first day i got my first baitcaster i wanted to throw it in the lake.after pullin out a few birds nests,adjusting the tension knob,and practicing for a while i got it.you will to.these guys have given you some good advice.

11. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you are practicing in a field make sure you have something bright colored on with you sinker, so you can see well , befoure it hits the ground.

12. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    That's a good idea Paul. I think I'll paint my sinker orange or something like that.

13. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I started using one not to long ago. Practice, practice, practice. I put a weight on and casted it around the yard.

14. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I learned alot by watching others cast, how they held the rod. They would keep there thumb lightly on the spool, and just before it hits the water use there thumb as a brake to stop it. Before I started using baitcasters all I used was spinning outfits. It took me about two weeks to master it, I would always watch others until I got the hang of it. Most everybody cast a little different but we all use the same basic techniques. I would also recomend a good pick for backlash. Like the other post said practice, practice, and you will get the hang of it.

15. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Hi Mike,

What did you mean by "I would also recomend a good pick for backlash."?

Thanks

16. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Start with mono as braid is not too friendly with baitcasters.Learning to get out backlash or birdsnest is an art unto itself.Have been throwing the things for at least 62 years and have never needed to use a 'pick' to get a backlash out.Go slow,be gentle with the line is the best advice I can give on removing a backlash.Most new reels have some instructions with them on how to set the reel up for casting.
    Jake

17. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Matt its a tool with a very sharp point, you can look them up on line at BPS, cabelas. I have two of them, one for heavy line, and one for lite line. I bought the pick for heavy line at a auto parts store. They sell them for removing gaskets and seals. The other I bought at bass pro.

18. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Matt all I use is mono lines, I don't know that much about the braided lines.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm going to agree with some of the above posts and disagree with others. All I can say is that the best method is always the method that works best for you. The settings you want to use when you first start learning are not the settings you want for best results once you learn to cast well. Use a heavy sinker; that keeps you from having to try to throw it far. Adjust your tension knob to where the sinker just barely drops, then tighten it a little bit more. No, it won't drop at all then. No, you won't be able to cast nearly as far with that setting. But, you won't backlash as much. And at first, that's the name of the game. Distance and accuracy come later. Start with very short casts. Again, don't worry about distance, and as far as accuracy is concerned, if the weight goes somewhere in front of you, that's good enough for starters. Start out with a kind of sideways/underhand cast to basically lob the weight out. Concentrate on educating your thumb so you don't backlash. Once you're comfortable with that cast, go to the overhand cast. By it's very nature, this is a harder cast, and thus more likely to produce a backlash. Just use your basic starting procedures. Once you are comfortable with all the casting positions for short distances, start trying to increase the distance a bit. Remember, your reel still isn't set for distance casting, so forget about standing beside one goalpost and trying to cast over the other one. Once you can get some harder casting down without backlashing much, you can start reducing the tension knob. Eventually, for the average caster, you want it set so that the weight just slowly drops from the tip of the rod to the ground. Once you have that down, start moving down to smaller weights. Once you feel that you're ready to start working on accuracy, set several markers (cardboard boxes, buckets, etc.) at various distances in front of you and try to hit them with your weight. Remember, unlike a spinning rod, you're not going to be able to cast something with a couple of splitshot on it, unless you've got a big, heavy bait.
    Start out with something like cheap 15# mono (larger for a big reel). You may get a backlash so bad that you have to cut it out; you won't cry nearly so much if it's cheap mono instead of expensive stuff. Yeah, I know it doesn't cast as well as the expensive stuff, but it casts well enough to learn on. When you get to be an expert, and need to cast a maximum distance for some reason, you can back the tension knob off entirely, and just rely on your educated thumb.

20. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    As a newbie I wouldn't really know but that sounds like excellent advice. Thank you.