Dumb Brothers fishing report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    While I was melting in Argentina 99 degree weather, my two extremely knucklehead brothers and favorite fishing partners were braving sub freezing and snowy conditions on the Salmon River in New York. They fished last week Weds-Sat and each caught fish every day. It snowed on them everyday and one day actually got above freezing. David's biggest was over twenty pounds. He said it was outstanding on the grill last night. I got home yesterday and will be around until New Years. So........., there's deer to kill, ducks and geese to shoot, Catfish to play with, and at least a trip or two to the bay to drown some eels for Stripers. Merry Christmas to everyone and I hope to see some of you on the River.

Attached Files:

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What a difference 45 days makes. This foto is from their Oct trip. This trip was for Salmon and they wore them out. I have to go new year if only to enjoy the scenery and my brother's company.

Attached Files:

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    This was David's big fish taken in Oct.

Attached Files:

4. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great pics of some nice fish! A buddy and I have been talking about going up there next year. He went when he was a kid, I've never been, so we have a lot of homework to do before then. Any info would be great. ( i.e. when ,where, what to use, just general info).

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thanks for the report Kenneth,Looks like Big fish run in the Family.keep in touch OK,J.D.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I know they used both flyrods and spinning tackle in Oct and just spinning in Dec. They use these super long and limber noodle rods. They bend rapidly when the big fish run so you don't break off the fish using the light lines. Kind of like what people use for crappie. About 10 feet or so. Light line is a must 6-8 pounds tops and flourocarbon leaders 6 pound at most or no fish. All are extremely leader shy. Spinning reel of decent quality to handle hard runs on the light line. Your drag must work perfectly. Plan on losing lots of fish to break offs. If you catch 3 or 4 a day you are doing good but will lose at least 3 or 4 for every fish landed so you do get a lot of action. The salmon go upstream to spawn first, (Late September). They are followed later by the monster rainbows, (Steelhead) and brown trout a little later. The trout follow the salmon to eat their eggs. Flies are salmon egg immatations. and spinning is salmon eggs in fine mesh sack. Both will catch both salmon and trout. The Salmon river dumps into Lake Ontario I believe. Only about 20 miles or so is fishable from the mouth upstream and then waterfalls stop the fish. I will call my brother and find out the name of the little town where they stay. If you do a google on Salmon River New York fishing guides you will find a good deal of infomation. They used a guide for one day which really helped them find the good spots. Same Good advice for those fishing the James for cats the first time.

Attached Files:

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    That looks like a blast! Thanks for the pics.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Very cool report and may ya all have a safe and blessed holidays...WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOO(LOL) right on!

9. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the info kenneth. I can't wait to get up there.

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have always been busy or out of the country when they made their trip to the Salmon River. Next year I am going to make sure I make it.

I buried two good friends this year, young men my age. Everytime that happens it makes me want to enjoy my family first and hunt and fish second. If I get to enjoy my family while hunting and fishing,,,well partner,,,I just hit the lottery. Merry Christmas to everyone.:wink:

11. riverhobo85

riverhobo85 New Member

State:
    VA
    thanks for the report

12. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Kenneth,
    Sorry to hear about your losses this year...I did not know.
    Good report on the New York trip.I hope you can make it next year.
    mikeb

13. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Thanks for the pics Kenneth and you got that right better make time for family and friends cause you or them might not be here tomorrow.All of you have a safe and merry chrismas.