Dull Paint on a Fiberglass Hull

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Dan the Fisherman, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    I recently purchased a 1975 Ranger 175A. The boat seems to perform well so I'm thinking of fixing her up a bit. The paint has dulled through years of weather. Does anyone have a good suggestion as the best way to restore the finish back to it's red luster instead of the almost pink color of today?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Rubbing compound and elbow grease. Won't restore it to its original color, but would bring back some life.

3. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    theres a product called new glass 2 its awesome.. when i get home ill post some before and after pics of my boat....i think u mabe aable to google it .. it wont make it new.. but does make differance..shane

4. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    First off I wouldn't think its paint,its most likely gel coat like most plastic boats,, ya can start with some comet or Ajax and small amounts of water, its cheep and ya most likely have some, made allot off old paint and gel coat come to life with it, ya use it on your fiberglass shower don,t you:wink:, then some kinda polishing compound followed up with some past wax , good luck and your arm will feel ok after about a week:crazy::smile2:

ps ya mite invest in a orbital buffer:wink:

5. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    here are the pictures

Attached Files:

• 043.jpg
      043.jpg
      File size:
      39.1 KB
      Views:
    • 040.jpg
      040.jpg
      File size:
      41.2 KB
      Views:
    • 046.jpg
      046.jpg
      File size:
      38.4 KB
      Views:
  6. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Thanks for the suggestions, I haven't decided which to try first. I will take some before pictures and after picture when I start this project. Thanks again

7. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    you can write new glass and they will send you a sample of their product. try before you buy..