Dull fiberglass

Discussion in 'Boating' started by catchaser1, Mar 5, 2007.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I have a 19' sea lion center console, its a 88 model, fiberglass, its in need of a good waxing. The hull, center console are pretty dull, I put some 3m fiberglass restorer and wax on it, but it still didnt bring back the shine, anybody got any ideas.?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I would use the Mcguire products. Go through the compound, machine glaze, and polish steps. You'll need a high speed buffer.

3. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Brad. I was just going to start a thread on this myself. Mine is very dull and I hoped I wouldn't have to put a glass coat or something on it. It looks good right after I wax it, but a little while later it's dull again.
    Maybe this product mark suggests will do the trick.
    Where can we buy it and how much.

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I've buffed mine out several times but it gets that dull haze shortly thereafter. Now I just spray on some WD40 to the top surfaces and wipe it in and it lasts most of the summer. I don't use it below the waterline on the sides however

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    If the clear is gone you may have to respray it.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Once the sun has damaged the gelcoat to the point it fogs there isnt much hope for it as far as a shine lasting. You can try a spot with a buffer and rubbing compound to see if it will last a while.

Whats makes it haze back over is water. Either rain or dew will make it revert back.
    I've never heard of any success stories with this for any extended period of time.