Dull Aluminum

Discussion in 'Boating' started by GMC FishHauler, Mar 6, 2007.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    my bass tracker boat is very dull and i wanted to make it look more like new. Does anyone have any ideas or tips?
    what compound would i use?
    should i put some kind of clear coat one it to keep it lookin new?
    would i be ahead just to paint it?

thanks in advance for all the info u guys can provide.

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nevr-Dull. Its like a treated gauze, you just tear off a piece and polish a small area, then buff it out with terrycloth. Not as messy as the paists. When you get her all buffed out, put a coat of good wax on it to seal her up. Should last a while.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Think your dull finish is due to the oxidation process, which on aluminum is rust. By removing it and exposing the surface to air, you probably will cause more oxidation. By the end of your lifetime, you'll probably have polished a hole through the boat. LOL

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    James the Napa auto parts store sells some aluminum cleaner that will clean up your boat.It's a clear liquid that you brush on and wash off.My boat is a 1984 model and it was kind of ruff looking but after I used that al. cleaner from the Napa strore it looked great.

5. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Mothers sells aluminum polish. You apply it like wax and when it hazes you remove it with a cloth.Works pretty good.Takes alot of elbow grease.

6. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    If you feel the need to use a buffer, make sure its a low speed buffer. Any burrs or rough spots will clean up alot easier and look alot better.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    braso works but i dont no how long the shine will last

8. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    After fishing in the bright sunshine for a few hours you may ask yourself WHY you polished it back to shiny. I put some aluminum 1/4 diamond treadbrite in the floor of my boat and painted it the next day. you would have had to wear a welding mask to cut the glare.

LOL

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i believe hes talking about the outside, mine is dull too. thanks for the advice. i would like to bring mine back too.

10. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    There were alot of people that would bring their boats in to my grandpa's detail shop in Arkansas. I dont know exactly what he did to them, but they looked awesome when he was finished.

11. ohiorivercat

ohiorivercat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i used a product call ed bucsh aluminum cleaner on my last raw aluminum boat just spray it on and wash it off .....

12. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I AM NOT TOO CRAZY ABOUT SHINY BOATS MYSELF. ALSO WHEN YOU USE THE DIFFERENT CHEMICALS, MIGHT WANT TO THINK ABOUT, IT CAN THIN OUT THE ALUMINUM, MAYBE NOT MUCH THE FIRST TIME BUT IF YOU USE IT OFTEN IT DOES THIN OUT THE ALUMINUM THICKNESS. ALSO, WILL THE FISH SMELL THE CHEMICALS YOU USE THE FIRST FEW TIMES YOU GO OUT IN THE WATER? THAT'S JUST MY POINT OF VIEW. THAT'S WHY I USED CAMO PAINT. I LIKE IT BETTER BECAUSE OF NO GLARE. EITHER WAY, GOOD LUCK!

13. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Do a search for sharkhide,This stuff is great. U will not be disapointed.Works in fresh or salt and keeps ur boat,trailer,anything else alum looking good for a year or two............:smile2:

Attached Files: