Duke and Alcoa want to ban going behind dams

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bream baiter, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    There was an article in the Charlotte paper Sunday stating that Duke and Alcoa want the NC Wildlife Resources Commission to legally ban boaters from going within 100 feet of their dams. There are 9 dams that this ban would apply to. Five years ago, Alcoa wanted this done for the High Rock and Badin dams but after protests from anglers, the wildlife commission unanimously voted it down. The commission is to recieve this proposal Feb. 14 in Raleigh. THIS IS A CALL TO ACTION! We need to bombard the wildlife commission with phone calls and emails to oppose this proposition. There probably won't be anymore tailrace fishing or catching bait behind the dams if we don't speak up now. CALL and email the the wildlife commission and anybody else you might know who could possibly help stop this proposition.

2. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    They need to listen to the anglers. Who's side is the commission supposed to be on anyway, big corporate companies or outdoorsman. I think we know the answer to that and I hope they vote it down again!!! I've sent some e-mails. Ya'll do your part too!!!

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i think duke and acloa should install a hot line to call for all the anglers to find out when they going to pull water......:wink: that way we could all be safe....:lol:

4. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Did the power companies state what thier reasoning is behind this request? Just curious about it. Can anyone on here post a phone # to the NC Wildlife Department or an e-mail address, because I will be happy to call and e-mail the appropiate people. Thanks.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think the camoflauge the power companies are now hiding behind is due to the crap of 9/11. We have small dams here in Oklahoma we can no longer fish on because if a terrorist was to blow them, the damage would be in the millions and loss of life COULD be high. By the same token, there may not be any loss of life, but thats not the sheet of music they want to play on. I have no idea why these corporations want to do that unless it is the all mighty fear they may have the dam blown and the corporation will loose the dollars. Sad, but thats what life has came to.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It's a dangerous place to be poking around for one.
    But I imagine the real reason is security.

7. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I am not trying to get on the states side on this one but I think 100' is a pretty reasonable compromise. When I was growing up and fishing by dams on the mississippi you weren't allowed within 1000' of the dam. I think that the biggest factor is security but another reason is safety. I wonder how many people have drowned or lost a boat because they got too close to the dam in the turbid waters.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Its all about liability.

They are tired of getting sued everytime someone drowns in a boat that gets swamped. They usually end up settling for small amounts of money, but they pay more in attorney fees than the settlement.

People are generally stupid when it comes to selfish interests like catching the biggest fish. They do stupid things like anchoring below a spillway, then they want to sue the power company for their stupid actions when their boat sinks and they drown.

I would have to support it. There are miles and miles of river and lake to fish, what does 100 yards around a dam matter. It is a shame we have to make legislation like this, but stupidity demands it.

"...should install a hot line to call for all the anglers..." You will never see that happen, because then THEY are accepting responsibility for when water is moving. From a liability standpoint it is much easier for them to use the "random" generation of power that they always have.

Here is the article:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/16564380.htm?source=rss&channel=charlotte_sports

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    It is the liability, not concern for security at the hydro stations. A good example is the Hot Hole at Marshall Steam Station on Norman. People used to be able to walk all the way down the the plant and fish near where the warm water discharges. Same deal at Plant Allen on Wylie. A couple of drownings changed many years ago changed that and that was before 9/11. It was stated in the paper that boats were swamped below the Mt Island Dam where people tied up to the structure--very, very unsafe. A fish is not worth your life. Seems sometimes people will go to extremes to try to get an edge on the competition. Nuclear stations definately have the security on their minds. Do not try to fish near the warm water discharge at the Wylie Nuke station or you may get a gun pointed at you--and that is a GOOD thing. The exclusionary zone at Monticello is also watched like a hawk.

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mudkip there are also cameras at norman. my uncle got a ticket in the mail with his picture for bass fishing across the line.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I guess I thought all dams had an exclusion zone. Like other's have stated what's the big deal of 100 yards anyways? So more frivolous lawsuits can happen for you being dumb.

12. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    The "man" has his ways at Norman. I know for a fact that they sit in the trailers acroos from McGuire and watch the people bank fishing and will pull you over on your way out. I've been pulled over twice because they thought I kept a striper that was too small. It wasn't, but they are strict up there. I've only been checked one other time at Badin. I was headed up river to flathead fish one night and there were 3 NC DNR boats up there. They checked every boat up there and then went to the bank and started checking all the people on the bank at the dam. That was nuts!

13. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Liability, Safety, Security, Conservation, are the primary reasons.
    Consider your self lucky. Up in MN its 300 yds clearance above and below. As a result the only time you hear of anyone having a bad run in is with motor failure and they can't get the anchor out in time. (very rare occurance)

All good reasons to put the ban into effect. As mentioned earlier, The river is a big place and there are plenty of fish to be caught all over the place
    No sense in someone being stupid, No fish is worth risking your life over.

thanks
    Larry

14. catfish101

catfish101 New Member

State:
    nc
    twra does not like tva telling them what to do but you have to wear your life jacket at dams from sign to dam they finely installed warning system on most in sc it is sanctuary year ago people would go below wilson dam and fill boat with catfish

15. stonewall

stonewall New Member

I really don't fish that close to the dams anyway.