Duct tape on net- does it work?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Bream baiter, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have heard several guys talking about putting duct tape around the perimeter of their cast nets to make them spread out more when trying to catch deep shad. Has anybody tried this? Does it work? I was told to put it on both the outside and inside of the net just above the lead line. It's supposed to act like a planer to help the net spread.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wish I could help but I've never heard of using it ,maybe some other members can

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I thought you were asking if you could duck tape your computer!!!! :confused2:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I cannot say either way... best answer is to do it for a few trips and see if it makes any difference. Of course it is a subject that is opinionated, so get ready for a lot of opinions. LOL

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The tape is supposed to help keep the net open as it sinks to the deeper depths. It also slows down the sink rate drastically. I would just use a larger diameter net so that it still had a good spread at the deeper depths. You will have to add to the hand-line so the net can can fall as free as possible.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I have a 7' net that I've taped up, but never used for shad. I do use it casting for shrimp in deep holes 20-35' deep. The tape helps keep the net open, but it does slow down the sink rate some. It works great on shrimp, but I don't know if shad would have time to run from it or not. I may have to try it out sometime.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ive never heard of it but I believe I will have to try that.

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'd like to have something that doesn't have duct tape on it.....
    :crazy:

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Never heard of that, but for deep shad, the usual remedy is more lead. You could either add weights to the perimeter of your net or, if you use that one sometimes for shallower shad, buy another net with more lead. Needless to say, nets with more lead cost more than Wal Mart nets with minimum lead. Also, some folks like to use a larger net for deep shad.

10. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    sounds like it could work, im gonna give it a try.

11. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I was always told that duct tape could even mend a broken heart. Can't speak from experence though. I'm like Boots, that stuff goes good with anything.

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Not only does duct tape go good with anything, but you can get so many different colors these days, even no color.